Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Party Must Go On

I came back not too long ago from my annual appointment with some old folks in Chinatown to celebrate the Lunar New Year over a simple meal. All of them have dietary restrictions so I had to watch what I cooked for them.

Anyway, the original 12 dwindled to 6 last year and this year, it was left with three. The others have passed on since. Two new faces joined in the feasting though and I thank God for that. I was hoping for more so that the tradition can go on but for now, two more is fine. Hopefully there will be more next year.

I bought the "Yusheng" for them but I had to cut down on the plum sauce and also not add the sweetened winter melon. Of course it did not taste as good but they ate to their hearts content. Oh yah, I could not serve them with the raw fish so I had to use a few slices of steamed "snakehead" fish instead.

Other dishes were mainly porridge with diced beancurd cooked with minced meat, a few drops of dark soya sauce and sesame oil; steamed baby kailan with a bit of oyster sauce, fried garlic and chives; steamed promfret served with ginger strips, spring onions, a few diced salted vegetables and tomatoes.

As always, we would drink Chinese tea. What saddened me most this year was the loss of one aunty affectionately known as "Tai Sou" ("Big Aunty"). I did not even know that she is no more with us. She died in her sleep last month and from what I heard in my conversation with the rest, she was looking forward to the Lunar New Year and one of them even said she was anticipating this dinner. When I heard that, tears just rolled but I quickly dried them with my hankerchief as I do not wish to dampen the happy occasion.

I cannot deny that whenever I do this for the old folks, it is emotionally draining because I know and I believe they know too that their time is almost up. When they will leave this world, I cannot control but the least I can do for them is continue with this annual cook-out.

Oh yah, one joy to share though - two of them are currently attending some seniors' activities at Fairfield Methodist Church. Praise the Lord for that.

We finished at 8:30pm as most of them sleep early. Before we departed, I took up the courage by asking whether I could say a prayer of blessing for them. They were okay with it and I prayed in two languages - Mandarin and Hokkien. I told them the words used may not be perfect and they all smiled.

I asked the Lord to continue to be close to them daily and to provide for their daily needs. I also prayed that His love will always be upon them. My prayers were not long because of my limited vocabulary for these two languages.

Well, praise the Lord for the time spent with them.

This morning before I left for work, I apologised to dad if I had said something which might have offended him. He also said sorry. We smiled while saying that one word to each other - putting pride aside and sought reconciliation. Thanks be to God!

I do not know why but my heart is anxious about this Saturday's Local Church Executive Committee (LCEC) meeting where I have to present the Revised Missions Policy. I am scared because I never like having to answer queries because my thoughts will get all jumbled up - sometimes what I want to say in relation to the questions, I do not say. It is funny (not as in the haha funny) but true. Weird is the word actually.

Anyway, I shall pray and ask God to help me compose myself.

Alritey, time for me to get some work done.

Good night to one and all. Happy Valentine's Day - whatever that is left of it. :)

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:34-35

"He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God." Proverbs 14:31

No comments: