Thursday, February 07, 2008

Part-Time Christians?

Today has been a day of entertaining guests. Many relatives came over to visit my family since grandma is staying with us. One wave after another - literally had no time to rest. I had also planned to prepare for a wedding briefing for this Sunday but had no chance to.

Actually I did. I was thinking of doing it after dinner but my eyes were so heavy that when I decided to just lie down on my bed to relax, I slept. I only woke up at around 10:50pm. I was still in a daze, thinking that it was already morning. Then I realised it was still dark and my brother was awake. He was the one who informed me that it has not even passed midnight.

For my family, the definition of entertaining guests involves food as well. When I woke up this morning, I helped grandma cooked a few Peranakan stuff. When came lunch-time, the feast began. Relatives caught up with one another over meal and it went on till around 3pm.

After that we visited two families - my grandaunty who is now immobile and my grandma's god-son's mother. I already had in mind to bless the families I visit this year and it started with these two. Well, I did not want to make it too aggressive so for my grandaunty's home, I basically just whispered a prayer for her and her children as I looked at each of them.

As for the other family, I was rejoicing when I heard that my god-uncle's three nieces are now Christians and they are worshipping at Adam Road Presbyterian Church. Almost every year, we basically did not talk much but this time, I fellowshipped with them. I am so happy they are all attending church now. I also whispered a word of prayer for every one in that family.

Oh yah, instead of the usual "bye bye", I changed my words of farewell to "God bless!"

Has it been an eventful day? You bet! I enjoyed it though I was sucked dry physically. Haha.

Thanks be to God for sustaining me through it all.

Tomorrow there may be more visitations to be done. If there are, I will surely look forward to them!

Lunar New Years from here on will be different as I have decided to add in the spiritual elements to them. In fact as I was on my way home reflecting on the blessings I gave to the above two families, I realised that everything we (Christians) do should have the spiritual elements involved. Why detach them in some of our life's activities? If we do that, then we are simply saying that we are not Christians all the time. I hope those reading this gets my drift.

Once we are Christians, every second of our lives will be about living that Christ-like lifestyle. The spiritual elements cannot be detached at all. Jesus Himself did not do that and He was always ready to minister and bless wherever He goes.

I guess it is precisely this notion that only some moments of our lives we live as Christians that many of us (including myself) struggle when confronted with certain issues or experiences of life. That is also why some people around us are stumbled when they see Christians living a double lifestyle.

Well, like it or not, debate all we can, a Christian must be one ALL THE TIME! There is no such thing as a part-time Christian. It is either we are one or not.

Praise the Lord for this reminder.

Okie, time for me to end here. :)

"Let those who love the LORD hate evil, for he guards the lives of his faithful ones and delivers them from the hand of the wicked." Psalm 97:10

"Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self? If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God." Luke 9:23-27

No comments: