Friday, November 30, 2007

Strife Is Meaningless!

I reached home not too long ago from the Worship Team rehearsal. I am leading worship this Sunday. Due to all the busyness and physical exhaustion I have been going through lately, it was quite difficult to really focus and give my all. Thanks be to God though for pulling me through the practice. Everything went well actually.

Usually I would look forward to Sunday but when I left the Worship Hall just now, it was more of I wanted to rest than being excited about what the team and I are going to do in two days' time.

Yesterday I shared about how meaningless life can be sometimes trying to meet deadlines and going through the routines. Interestingly one of the team members shared a passage which will be used for this Sunday's sermon and it was a warning.

It is taken from Luke 21:34-36 and it reads, "Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap. For it will come upon all those who live on the face of the whole earth. Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man."

When I read the above passage I was basically admonished to not let the strife of life put me down especially in this age of the end-times where Christians await the coming of Christ. Sadly I am not being watchful but it is a timely reminder and I shall take time soon to reflect and evaluate . Anyway I am due to go on a personal retreat since the last month of the old year of 2007 is just three minutes away.

What I am struggling now shows very clearly how easy one can fall into the hustle and bustle of life that if not kept in check, the individual will sink deeper. By the time he realises it, it would have been too late to get out and naturally the person will just drown and slowly die struggling.

Today a sister-in-Christ passed her driving test and she encouraged me to re-take mine. I will, eventually, but passing a driving test is not really at the top of my priority list as there are so many other important things to consider. Anyway, I cannot bring my driving license when I leave this world so I guess that can wait.

I was singing one song during the rehearsal that I will be using for the 11:15am service. I was touched by the words and I guess the needs mentioned in there should take precedence. Anyway, I need to let go of a lot of things in my life that are no longer as important as they were in the past. So be it. Life goes on and I believe God has more for me to look forward to.

I need to wake up early tomorrow as I have a good friend's wedding to attend. She is one of the few Christian friends I first got to know when I went to church as a 12-year old boy. Since then we (4 of us) grew up in church and still maintained our friendship till now. Thanks be to God that she is getting married.

I doubt it will be a restful weekend for me but I shall look forward to it anyway.

AS BREAD THAT IS BROKEN

VERSE 1:
Many hearts are hungry tonight;
many trapped in darkness, yearn for the light;
so many who are far from home, and many who are lost;
O Lord, Your wounded children need
the power of the cross.

CHORUS:
As bread that is broken, use our lives;
As wine that is poured out, a willing sacrifice.
Empower us, Father, to share the love of Christ.
As bread that is broken, Lord,
use our lives.

VERSE 2:
Help us to begin where we are.
Help us to love the people near to our hearts.
Then give our faith a mission field
wherever You may call,
Lord, love Your world through each of us
until we've touched them all.

No comments: