Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Start Early Before It Is Too Late

I happened to walk past the Supreme Court while on my way back from lunch. I noticed a family of five gathered at the entrance and I could hear the commotion between the mother and her son. Her son was no more than 18 years of age and from what I gathered, the teenager was charged for an offence he committed. She was saying things like how she was so disappointed; how she has been humiliated; etc.

As I walked on, my heart went out to this family. I prayed for them and I hope things will eventually get better.

Then a few troubling thoughts came to mind. I am one who loves to play with infants and kids. At this age, many of them are very happy-go-lucky individuals. They are adorable and huggable. As I remembered the family I mentioned above, it just dawned upon me whether the parents of that teenager ever wondered how their child would turn out to be when he was still a baby. Of course now they know it and it may have been a little too late especially for a crime already committed. How then will parents know how their child will be like when they grow up?

I guess they will never know but what these young lives will be learning in their growing up years is crucial in shaping their thoughts and characters. Though I am still a single but loves kids a lot, I think I can also play a part in making a difference in helping mould these lives especially in the way I live my own life.

The youths I am in touch with in church now, many I saw them grow up since they were babies. Some have grown to be God-fearing individuals whereas some I have not seen them for a while already. There are yet a few whom I know are struggling in finding who they are and how they should be fitting into society. Some have become bitter and angry.

Well, the next time I see a boy or a girl, I will say a word of prayer for him or her and just hope that one day they will all grow up to be godly men and women.

Anyway, time for me to get back to work. It will be a long night for my team as we have many things to prepare for a meeting tomorrow.

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

No comments: