Friday, November 09, 2007

What Kind Of Tongue Do I Have?

My fever is back again. It always happens in the night. I have been sick since two days ago. Initially it was just flu and it got really bad when I started sneezing non-stop after coming back from church on Wednesday night.

Yesterday the fever was very high at 39.8 degrees Celsius. It felt as if my brain was about to explode and my breath was super hot especially when I exhaled. I could not sleep properly as I was shivering.

I felt really lethargic. That explains why I did not blog yesterday. I went to see the doctor this morning and he prescribed one course of antibiotics; flu tablets and cough mixture. I was also given one day medical leave. I hope the medication will heal me soon as I have a busy day tomorrow in church - having to meet the Missions Policy Review Committee at 11am. After that at 2pm, I have to be at the Worship Team rehearsal as I have been rostered to play the drums on Sunday. There are a couple of challenging songs but I am looking forward to trying them out as in the drumming sequence. May the Lord be my help in that.

This morning after I left the clinic I went to the travel agency to collect the air tickets for the Mission and Vacation-With-A-Purpose teams. I was sent on a wild-goose chase though. I followed the address given to me on the invoice but when I arrived at the agency which was located in Singapore Shopping Centre, I was told that that was not the place to collect the tickets. I was re-directed to Peninsula Plaza. I had to take the MRT to City Hall and walked to the shopping centre.

Along the way, a brother-in-Christ called me and gave some feedback regarding the revised Missions Policy - as I was already feeling very lethargic and frustrated over the running around just to collect the tickets, I kind of snapped at him. I did apologise but I should have exercised some self-control though things were not working out as planned.

Anyway, I headed for church after I was done with the collection. I took the medicine. They were quite strong and I felt a little drowsy. I napped for a while before I carried on to do some work. I was supposed to join a brother-in-Christ and his friend for dinner but I changed my mind and went home. I did not have the appetite and as I was felt warm again, I thought it would be better that I sleep early tonight and hopefully feel better tomorrow.

I joined the Youth Worship Team for a while in their devotion. I felt burdened for both the leaders and the youths especially when I listened to them speak. This is supposed to be a group of musicians and worship leaders to lead the rest before the presence of God in worship and yet some of the words they used in their speech were so unedifying. Moreover they were in the house of God. Sometimes I wonder how much do we revere God and whether we are living our lives in fear and awe of Him. May the Lord be gracious and merciful unto us all.

Does speaking less of words like "shit" or "damn" or "cock" or "hell" or "fish" (in place of the word "f***") make us less happening than those who keep using them? How then do we stand out as Christians when basic things like the words we use, we do not even practise?

I need to learn to confront when I encounter such incidents - if not, I am equally guilty of condoning the actions.

Anyway, it is just so scary that some of us Christians are living two kinds of lifestyles - when we are at a worship environment we sing of God's praises and yet when we are out of that environment, our words become so flowery.

By writing the above-mentioned, I have to also watch my own speech.

Just took my temperature - 38.1 degrees Celsius. I shall go rest now.

"Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check. When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water." James 3:1-12

No comments: