Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Rock The Church And The World Through Our Service!

I had a game of touch-rugby with my students at the Padang. We were playing against another team. We won in the end. This is the first time I ran since a couple of months and I praise the Lord I felt no pain at all. I did pull a muscle around my back while trying to avoid a touch but that should recover in a couple of days.

I had a talk with one of my students who shared with me his desire to serve in his church. I asked him what is holding him. His reply was that he thinks he is not ready. Below were some of the things we talked about.

I think we can never be ready to serve the Lord. What is important, I guess, is our availability. I asked my student what then would make him ready? He gave points like we need to know our gifts; we need to pray about our desire in serving; we need to speak to the leader of the ministry we are interested in to enquire further the commitment and expectations; we need to be consistent in our walk with God.

I asked him next whether he has done all the points he had mentioned and he said, "yes." I smiled and told him that he is actually ready - the only thing that is holding him back is the human rationalisation that we sometimes have - the lie that the devil places in us about having to be very sure in order to serve. Most of the time, we can be affirmed of our gifts and calling when we start serving. In doing so, brothers and sisters-in-Christ serving in the same ministry would then be able to affirm and encourage. Let us also remember that when we go by faith and start serving God even if we are not fully ready, He will equip us accordingly. His resources are plentiful!

Many times I give reasons like "I am not spiritually right" but the thing is when we are stagnating in our walk, the only other way is to start walking. Yes, it is a right thing not to jump suddenly into serving God when we are not right but there reaches a point where we need to move on and let God guide us along the way.

I believe all of us know that we need to serve God but many times, we become too complacent to the point where we do not do anything about it at all. I know of a couple of my siblings-in-Christ who are in this state now and my heart is burdened for them. Some of them have gifts and strengths which, when put to use, can make a great impact to the ministry and the people but they are just not doing anything about it.

Some told me about the failings of the ministries and leadership as reasons for not serving. I cannot deny that these shortcomings or failures may throw the ministries and church in disarray but let us also be forgiving and gracious to know that the church consists of imperfect people - humans who are trying their best to do what is right though at times, while trying to do that, mistakes are being committed and people are being stumbled. The church must have God's people holding each other's hand as we move; not by-standers making comments and criticising while the rest who are actually doing the work are trying their best to be the kind of servants God wants them to be.

I implore to all my siblings-in-Christ to not just stand by the wayside. Have we ever considered that God may use us to make a difference in that ministry or church? Never belittle ourselves when God the Almighty, who created us and in whom we serve, can do great things through us.

God's army must have soldiers like all of us who are always ready to be used by Him. If we are not ready, many casualities will be inflicted and these injured comrades are not any strangers but they are actually our very own siblings-in-Christ. Even if they are not injured, many will be burnt-out because it is always the same people doing the same work in the church.

Before I end, I want to send out this plea - let us from today onwards arise and avail ourselves to God and may our readiness rock the ministries; the church and the world! Don't believe it? Start serving and see how God moves!

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." Colossians 3:23-24

"Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men, because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he is slave or free." Ephesians 6:7-8

"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen." 1 Peter 4:10-11

No comments: