Wednesday, September 19, 2007

You're Not Called To Be Normal

I am now seated at the cafeteria of Seletar Country Club. Today is my church's Charity Golf Tournament. The response has been overwhelming to the point where we had to turn away golfers who registered late. The number of participants has also increased. Thanks be to God for that!

Well, after the last flight left for their game, I went to the Reading Room to finish up the lesson preparation for this Sunday's Youth Ministry (YM) session. I was struggling to keep awake as I was very tired - probably from last night's leaders' meeting. I had a power-nap and when I woke up, I was fresh and went on to plan the lesson.

I learnt a lot since I started preparing this teaching session especially in how I need to always live my life differently from the world. I think I have shared before that it is tough to do this as I have been doing what the world does since birth. Of course after I became a Christian, I have been striving to live my life according to what the Bible teaches me. I must confess it has been a great struggle but I will press on.

I was reminded that in order for me to live my life differently, there are four areas that I need to change:-

1) Mindset

I must change the way I think towards people, problems, situations and opportunities.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Philippians 4:8

2) Motives

I must change the way I pursue my own goals, pleasures, and ambitions. Everything should be done with a view to honouring God and advancing His purposes in the world.

"Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31

3) Morality

Because of the new mindset and motive for living, I should willingly follow the highest of moral standards - the standards of a holy God.

"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." 1 Corinthians 6:13

4) Material Things

In everything, my focus should be on the spiritual, not the physical - that I should not get caught up in the material pursuits, but use the material things for spiritual purposes.

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it." 1 Timothy 6:6-7

Well, the four 'M's to "You're Not Called To Be Normal." Tough in reality but possible with the help of my God Almighty.

Okie dokes, time to key off and perhaps head to the conference room to see whether the organisers are back from wherever they were.

Hot day, I must say! :)

No comments: