Sunday, September 30, 2007

Blessings Overflow

How interesting the whole of my Sunday is spent in church from morning to 5pm in the evening. In fact from this Sunday onwards, it will be like that till end November. I am not complaining but I cannot deny that it is very tiring. Though exhausted, I am rejuvenated by the many blessings from God in the various ministries I am involved today.

1) The Youth Ministry Mentors' (YMMs) Bible Study

Though I had to be in church by 8am and I was actually still quite sleepy when I woke up, I thank God that I went anyway. We touched on the topic of the Holy Spirit living in us and how we should always be conscious of His presence in our lives. It was a good reminder for all who were present because many times we, as Christians, live our lives as if the God whom we worship is One who is defeated and powerless. In fact, it is the other way round - He is Almighty and victorious! Jesus, even before He ascended to heaven after His resurrection, promised all His followers that He would not leave them alone to fend for themselves when He is away. Instead He gave us another Counselor and He is none other than the Holy Spirit.

The Spirit lives in us and yet many times we do not tap on His power to go through our daily walk. During the discussion, we challenged each other to start living a Spirit-filled life and see how it can transform all of us and how we can make an impact in the lives of others.

"If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever — the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live." John 14:15-19

"All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:25-27

2) Serving at the 11:15am Service as a Drummer

As mentioned on Friday, I was not too confident in my drumming for the above service. It was shaken after I went for the Master-class session on Monday. Though I am not sure of my proficiency in this anymore, I guess it now leaves me with no other avenues but to trust in God alone to lead me accordingly.

Well, I gave my all and I thank God for pulling me through the session. In fact I had a sister-in-Christ, who is also the Worship and Music Ministry chairperson, affirming me that the band played tighter this morning and that the congregation were able to follow better. Even the Pastor-in-charge said so. All glory be to God for that.

Well, I hope to continue to hone my skills in this area and may the Lord instruct me and the band accordingly.

"May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." Hebrews 13:20-21

3) The Mission and Vacation-With-A-Purpose (VWAP) Teams' Training

I shared in one of my blogs this week that I was quite discouraged by the responses from the church for the above teams. In fact some decided to back out after they realised they might not be able to meet the commitment level.

Then one night while I was spending some time in prayer, I asked the Lord, if He so willing, to bring in more workers into the harvest fields. I have to confess that I was not too optimistic though I mouthed that prayer to Him.

This afternoon when I was in the training room waiting for the participants to arrive, I was only prepared to receive 9 persons - 4 for the mission team and 5 for the VWAP team. One by one the members came and by the time all were present, there were 15 in all. 6 church members have taken the step of faith to respond at the last-minute. On top of this 15, there will also be four children going. The Lord indeed multiplied and now there are 7 in the mission team and 8 in the VWAP team! Hallelujah!

I believe God will work powerfully through these teams and may He use every individual to touch and make an impact in the lives of those whom they will be reaching out to.

Well, the next few Sundays till 22 November (the day the teams depart for Cambodia) have been set aside for training and planning. It is my prayer that the Lord will continue to show every one what He wants us to do. I have to confess that there are a lot to be done both administratively and spiritually but I want to trust God to prepare the way for us all.

It will also be tiring physically and mentally but I shall let God refresh me constantly till the day I come back from the trip which is 26 November.

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." Acts 1:8

I was having a super-late lunch (or should I say early dinner?) at 5 plus after the training session was over. As I was eating, a sister-in-Christ, who is part of the mission team, came into the church office. When she saw me, she told me she has been praying for me every day and that her son (one of the four children going) also does that every morning. When I heard that, I was very touched. What she said gave me a boost in my service to the Lord and His people. I guess my Father knew I needed a refreshment and He did it through that sister. Thanks be to Him for that and for the dear sister and her son!

I am watching the President's Star Charity on television now. This event has been carried out year after year and there are a lot of other charity drives held annually. One may complain that it is a little too much to keep asking for donations all the time but the need is real. There are many who may not be as blessed as others. I also believe the needy individuals or families do not feel good receiving from others their donations but they simply have no choice. If we are not the ones helping these persons, then who would? I hope the Lord will not forsake them.

Well, I am emotionally drained now. Sometimes I cannot comprehend why there are such disparities. Only God knows and I sure hope He is doing something for those are struggling and that He will also open the hearts and eyes of those who are more well-off to bless those who are not so.

Time for me to key off. All thanks and praise to God for today and for all that I have learnt and have been blest with.

No comments: