Friday, September 14, 2007

Natural Calamities Can Happen Anywhere

I had wanted to blog this two days ago but kept forgetting about it. It was Wednesday evening. I just got home from tea with a friend. I needed to scan a set of music score for a sister-in-Christ who requested for it. As I was kneeling down doing the scanning, suddenly I felt kind of giddy and decided to lie down on my bed for a while. I thought it was due to my slight fever and mild diarrhoea that I had this spell. It did not help lying down as my bed was also rattling. It was then I realised it was not that I felt dizzy but that the whole block was swaying. I suspected that it was an earthquake, probably in Indonesia.

The amazing thing, after I realised it was a tremor, was this -prior to the earth moving from under my feet (using the lyrics of a famous pop song), my doggy, Sasha, was barking madly and I have never seen her behaving in this manner before. I kept scolding her and commanded her to keep quiet. Usually when she hears this instruction, she would quickly lie flat on the ground and lean her head on the grill but this time round, she did not. The barking continued.

When the swaying began, she was jumping up and down and was even howling at one point. I guess I learnt one new characteristic of a dog. They can actually detect earth movements way before humans could. I do not know whether her consistent barking was to warn my grandma and I of an imminent danger.

I was contemplating whether to go downstairs and remain in the open for a while. Before I could act upon it, the tremor ceased and Sasha also kept quiet and began to drink her water.

Then the next morning came and while I was still in bed, I could hear again Sasha barking as intensely as the previous evening. Not long after, the tremor came and my bed shook again. The poor doggy howled for a while and stopped when the swaying ceased.

These two incidents gave me the jitters that though Singapore may be a distant away from the Pacific Ring of Fire, we are still not spared of the after-shocks. I just wondered what would it be if there is an even stronger quake one day... would the buildings in Singapore just sway or would there be an even worst outcome?

I guess one cannot take for granted that Singapore is always safe from all these natural calamities and for that matter, terrorism - which is so prevalent in the world.

I have learn not to neglect this area of prayer and trust that the Lord will keep us safe. Even should there be a crisis that He will give the government and the people the wisdom to know how to overcome it.

Thanks be to God so far for making Singapore a safe place to live in.

I shared two days ago that I am actually struggling with my Missions Ministry responsibilities. Well, I guess the Lord has heard my prayers and He has since helped me deal with one matter. It seems to have fallen in place after many emails being sent back and forth to clarify the issue. I just need to remind myself that ultimately God is in control - all I need is to avail myself and let Him work through me.

With that, I guess I can have the peace of mind to attend the Youth Ministry Mentors' Retreat which will be in a couple of hours' time.

Thanks be to God also that I am much better physically. Hallelujah!

"Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture." Psalm 37:3

No comments: