Thursday, September 13, 2007

Is God Near Or Are We Far?

I just came back from a walk with my doggy. I have been cooped up at home the whole day as I was not feeling too well. I was a little feverish and my tummy was churning though the mild diarrhoea I had two days ago has more or less recovered. The panadol and charcoal tablets I took made a lot of difference.

It has been a long while since I slept so much. When I woke up this morning, I felt rather weak. After I washed up, I took a little porridge that grandma made and the medication mentioned above. Next thing I knew when I laid on bed, I was fast asleep till past noon. Took another round of medication and slept for a few more hours. I had porridge again for dinner and decided to go for a stroll as my heart was burdened over a few matters and people.

I thank God for the time spent with Him in prayer. I am still burdened over my Missions Ministry - sometimes I still feel inadequate to deal with the matters that need my immediate attention. I want to do them but there is just this inertia and perhaps lack of faith. I told the Lord that I cannot go on in this manner - I hope He will provide me the guidance as I press on.

These past few days I have been encountering friends and siblings-in-Christ who are down, angry and confused. Some are going through setbacks faced in school or work; some are confused as to why certain people behaved the way they do (the walk the talk; talk the walk thingy); some are torn apart because of relationship issues.

In my conversation with them, many wondered where God is during this trying period. Some are not even praying because they found no point since they felt God is far away. It saddens my heart because it reminded me of those times when I felt this way. Is God only with us during good times and when it comes to bad times, He is absent from our lives?

As I was walking along the pavement just now, I just laughed to myself (hopefully no one saw me doing that) - it is so funny as in how we, humans, sometimes treat God. I say this because I am equally guilty of it.

Ever reflected on this before that during good and bad times, somehow God still seems to disappear in our lives?

Do you not agree that during the good times of our lives, usually we forget that God is there because we dwell too much in those pleasant moments? Sometimes in our over-happiness we forgot who was the One who gave us this opportunity to be joyful. We just enjoyed the good life and completely shun God aside.

Then comes those occasional setbacks we face. When we are in this unpleasant situation, suddenly God came to mind but then we start to blame Him for not being there for us or for causing us to be in this "shit-hole" that we are in. I am using this negative term because I hear that all the time from the mouths of those who are frustrated and angry. I used it a couple of times myself.

Who is God to us that He is to be treated so lightly? Have we forgotten who He is - that He is the Almighty One; that He created you and I; that He not did give up on us when we rebelled but sent His One and only Son to die for our sins on the cross so that we can live again and enjoy what we have now?

Whether we like to hear this or not, God is with us all the time. The question we need to ask ourselves is where are we in this relationship? If we are not praying, we are then fighting life's battles on our own; if we are not reading His Word, then how do we know what He wants us to do or be assured of His omni-presence; if we are not sharing our burdens with one another as siblings-in-Christ or for that matter, with God, in prayer, then one day we will explode because everything is welled up within us.

The last thing I want to share is probably the hardest to chew - is God really our God? If He is, then surely we will not blame Him for the bad times we occasionally encounter. If He is the Lord and Saviour of our lives, then surely in good times we will still remember Him. If God is truly the loving Father we regard Him to be, then surely He will not desert us when we are in our pits. If God is Almighty, then in every situation we are in, both pleasant and unpleasant, praise will still come forth our mouths and not the negative words that we sometimes use.

Let us evaluate on the above-mentioned before we conclude that God is far away. He speaks in many ways: through prayer; through His Word; through others; through circumstances; through direct encounters; through dreams; through visions; through praise; through sermons... are we listening enough? Are we trying to only pick those things that we want to hear and throw away those we refuse to when in actual fact God wants us to listen to everything He says? Do we trust Him enough to see trials and setbacks as a moulding process? Yes, it is a painful period but think of the end-result - our faith will be strengthened; our character developed; our stand firmed up.

You realised I did not mention anything about the devil. I decided not to because I am not going to give him credit for this trying times that we go through. He can try all he wants to bring us down but the fact is, victory is already on our sides. Why should we be afraid of him? Why live a life as if we are defeated when we are actually victors?

What matters now is for us to refocus our eyes away from the trials we are facing and fixed them on Jesus instead. Never give up.

I shall end here with a poem that I read from a sister-in-Christ's blog. I thought it is appropriate to do so though it is long.

God Does Not Give Up On Us

One day I decided to quit...

I quit my job, my relationship, my spirituality...

I wanted to quit my life.

I went to the woods to have one last talk with God.

"God", I asked, "Can you give me one good reason not to quit?"

His answer surprised me...

"Look around", He said. "Do you see the fern and the bamboo?"

"Yes", I replied.

He said, "When I planted the fern and the bamboo seeds, I took very good care of them. I gave them light. I gave them water. The fern quickly grew from the earth. Its brilliant green covered the floor. Yet nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo. In the second year the Fern grew more vibrant and plentiful. And again, nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo."

"In year three there was still nothing from the bamboo seed. But I would not quit. In year four, again, there was nothing from the bamboo seed. I would not quit." He said.

"Then in the fifth year a tiny sprout emerged from the earth. Compared to the fern it was seemingly small and insignificant... But just 6 months later the bamboo rose to over 100 feet tall. It had spent the five years growing roots. Those roots made it strong and gave it what it needed to survive. I would not give any of my creations a challenge it could not handle."

He asked me, "Did you know, my child, that all this time you have been struggling, you have actually been growing roots?"."

I would not quit on the bamboo and likewise I will never quit on you."

"Don't compare yourself to others." He said."The bamboo had a different Purpose than the fern. Yet they both make the forest beautiful."

"Your time will come", God said to me. "You will rise high"

"How high should I rise?" I asked.

"How high will the bamboo rise?" He asked in returned.

"As high as it can?" I questioned.

"Yes." He said, "Give me glory by rising as high as you can.

"I left the forest and brought back this story.

I hope these words can help you see that God will never give up on you.

"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Deuteronomy 31:8

No comments: