Friday, September 07, 2007

Leaders With Pure Hearts

I am into the second day of the Young Methodist Leaders’ Conference. Yesterday has been a wonderful day of bonding as I got to know the rest of the mentors who are either Pastors, full-time Christian staff or leaders of the church.

As always, initially I had the qualms of having to get to know new people and all but it was not that bad afterall. I realised when the bigger body makes an effort to know each other then it is not that difficult for the individuals as they attempt to break ice with one another.

I also realised it is a lot easier to make friends with like-minded fellow siblings-in-Christ because of God’s love that binds us all together.

Praise the Lord also for the journey mercy and the rest that we all had after we arrived at the Holiday Inn Resort. That was in the afternoon.

In the evening after dinner, all the mentors met up in one of the conference rooms for a time of worship, prayer, devotion and briefing.

The TRAC President in his exhortation, shared the need for us leaders to tap on the power of God in everything we do. He also warned the mentors that as we lead our designated groups and as we affirmed the qualities of each youth leaders that we do not just focused on those who are eloquent in their speeches, more outgoing and popular.

He also urged us to look at those who are quieter and less participative as there is also potential in these persons for God to use in the church and in this world.

He said leadership is not just about the abilities of one individual possessed but also having the heart for the Lord and the people. Rev. Wee reminded us that at the end of the day it is the heart that shapes one character and I totally agree with Him.

We can have a leader who is an all-rounder but if he does not have the heart for God and His people, then he is just a noisy cymbal. I thought that was a very good wake-up call for all as we seek to serve the Lord and His people.

Well, I was not too sure how to lead the group as every one will be coming from different churches and all. Yesterday during the time of prayer, the Lord reminded me that I am an instrument that He can use to bless others. All I need is my availability and not just my ability. I guess I shall leave the worries to Him and just do what is required of me – that is to facilitate and challenge the group members to act upon what they will be learning in the next three days or so. Hallelujah!

I guess that is all for now. I just woke up. Thanks be to God for the good sleep I had. I was so tired last night that not long after I laid on the bed that I entered into slumberland without much problems. I am looking forward to a great day ahead.

May the Lord be my help in all that I do today.

"He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false. He will receive blessing from the LORD and vindication from God his Savior." Psalm 24:4-5

No comments: