Sunday, September 16, 2007

Pushing Faith To The Limit

I watched a DVD with the Youth Ministry Mentors (YMMs) last night. The title of the show was “Facing The Giants.”

It was about an American Football Team. The coach was trying his best to bring the team to victory. After six years on the helm, he was still unable to do so. He was also facing the sack as many (staff, fans and parents of the football players) were getting impatient with his coaching methods.

On top of that, he and his wife have been trying for a baby for four years but to no avail. His car was breaking down on him. His house stinks. Everything did not seem to go right with him.

One day he broke down before the Lord out of sheer desperation and sought for His help and intervention. His wife was also discouraged and she too cried out to the Lord.

There was also this particular man who has been praying for revival in the school. Every day he would walk the land of the school and interceded for every student. One day this man came into the coach’s office and read him a Bible passage that he felt God wanted him to speak to the down-trodden instructor.

The coach admitted his struggle and asked the man whether God really wanted him to listen to the Bible passage and whether God could work in his life.

The man then related a parable about two farmers who were praying for rain. The difference between the two was one of them went out to prepare the field in anticipation for the rain but the other did nothing. The gist of that story was to challenge the coach whether he is willing to continue with his life while waiting for the Lord to deliver him from his predicament.

Upon hearing that story and challenge, the coach began to prepare the field as he evaluated on his team philosophy. He asked the Lord for guidance and he got it. At the end of it all, he stood before the team and challenged every member to consider honouring God in their playing – that in both victory and defeat, God’s name shall be praised.

Things began to brighten up – the team started to win matches; the coach even got a gift of a new car; he was not given the sack; etc.

Throughout watching the show, I was asking myself, can this really happen in real life as so vividly portrayed in reel life? Many of the YMMs, including myself, laughed and sometimes made comments when a miracle happened in the build-up of the movie. Was the laughter one of disbelief that this can ever happen in a Christian life?

I guess so. What I learnt from this whole two hours spent in front of the TV screen was that God can do the impossible if we can just push our faith to the limit. The question is - are we willing to go to that limit? I trust that if we can just do that, our God Almighty can do wonders beyond our wildest imagination.

The prayer by the man for a revival in the school was answered. In one segment of the movie, it showed many students turning their lives to Christ. Am I willing to pray for revival in my own church? Am I willing to walk the whole of my church and pray for the Lord to work mightily in the life of every member? I sure hope I am willing to and believe in my heart that God will move.

The prayer by the coach to honour God in all he does was answered – am I willing to do likewise? It is never easy to honour God in everything and it is my desire to do just that in every aspect of my life.

The prayer by both the coach and his wife for God to lift their barrenness were answered. They were blest with a baby after 4 tries. 2 years after the first baby, they got their second child. How about my own life? Am I willing to trust God with some things that I desire but seem to fade away as time goes by? Am I willing to keep waiting?

I guess so long as there is hope, one can still press on. I thank God for reminding me of the above-mentioned and I hope I will prepare the field while waiting for the rain. I also pray that my faith will not just remain where it is now but that it will grow even deeper as I get to know more of the Lord as each day goes by. I also ask of Him that in both victory and defeat that I face in this life’s journey, I will give thanks to God at all times and in all circumstances.

Well, thanks be to God for the retreat!

I was trying to sleep but could not though I am feeling tired from the retreat. I decided to pop by Coffee Bean in Millennia Walk and write this blog and also to prepare for the Local Church Executive Committee meeting this Tuesday.

Anyway, right in front of my table is this group of 11 individuals and from the time I came, they have been talking about stocks, shares and growing their money. They are talking so loudly that I could hear every single word spoken from every one.

It is interesting to hear them speculate what to buy and what to hold. They were wondering in 10 to 20 years' time whether they could retire. There is this one particular man who kept talking and it sounds as if he is a man who knows all about the stock and financial market. Every one's eyes and ears are fixed on him. It is amazing how a group of people can talk so much about money issues and discuss it as if they are going to be here on earth throughout the whole of eternity.

I am that close to judging but I shall end here. In my heart there is this tinge of sadness and I prayed for these persons based on my burdens for them. May they see their lives as more than just growing money all the time.

Well, time to end here.

"'If you follow my decrees and are careful to obey my commands, 4 I will send you rain in its season, and the ground will yield its crops and the trees of the field their fruit. 5 Your threshing will continue until grape harvest and the grape harvest will continue until planting, and you will eat all the food you want and live in safety in your land." Leviticus 26:3-5

No comments: