Wednesday, December 20, 2006

What Kind Of Gift Am I Giving This Christmas?

"Christmas isn't Christmas till it happens in your heart." How true that is.

I mentioned the first line of this song, "Christmas Isn't Christmas", because I have yet to feel excited about this day. In fact, I should be looking forward to it because it is the birth of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ!

Why is it then that I am not enthusiastic about Christmas yet? Several possible reasons:-

1) I was rather distracted by the holiday trip to Bangkok;

2) I have been unwell. On top of my stomach ulcer (which is better, by the way), I got food poisoning from the above trip and till now, I am still having diarrhoea though it is healing.

3) I am feeling exhausted physically - thought the Bangkok break would be a refreshing one but it was not to be.

4) I have some burdens in my heart which I am slowly learning to let God help me overcome them. Carrying them on my own is no joke.

Well, I thank God that He allowed me to reflect on the above-mentioned because on Christmas Eve night, I am leading the Carols' Night - part of the Christmas Project.

If Christmas has not happened in my heart, how then will I be able to encourage others to celebrate the birth of the Christ-child?

I prayed about this just now when I was at the Leaders' Prayer Meeting. On my way home, this word, "Simplicity" came to mind.

I guess I will not complicate this special day commemorating Jesus' birth by doing too many of the insignificant stuffs like running around buying gifts, being too involved in Christmas activities and being anxious about the above responsibility to lead the Carols' Night.

Sometimes all these become primary objectives when in actual fact, the season is all about this baby named Jesus whom God sent to us. Ultimately, He would carry out His task of carrying the cross to the hill of Golgotha where he would be crucified for the sins of all man.

I guess I want to lead a simple Christmas this year and I pray by doing so, God will show me precious insights of His Son.

Gifts have always been closely linked to Christmas. I have been giving to friends almost every year but this year, I want to give every one I know and even those I do not know the ultimate GIFT.

I basically want to give Jesus to people around me so that when Christmas is over, He will still remain close in the hearts of many.

During the prayer meeting tonight, my group prayed for those whom the church is inviting to the Christmas Project. I prayed for my brother, Alvin, and his girlfriend, Jocelyn. I hope to give Jesus to them this Christmas. I have invited them - the rest I will leave God to follow up on them.

Well, I pray the Lord will touch many lives this Christmas and I hope Christians, like me, will be the ones to present the GIFT to as many as possible.

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6

No comments: