Friday, December 08, 2006

Faith

The past two nights of the Youth Ministry Camp, Pastor Joel, the speaker from Bedok Methodist Church, spoke on the topic of faith.

Hebrew 11:1 says, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

These two sessions made me reflect on my life - I was asking myself do I have faith in God and will it last till the day I die (which may be as soon as the next second or as long as another 40 years) especially in those areas that do not run smoothly.

I'm sure I do trust God to lead and guide me but many times I let disappointments got the better of me. In the end, I just give up and sometimes become bitter.

Well, there were occasions when my faith was put to the test during the camp. Other than my photography task, I am also to take care of the medical welfare of the campers. Thank you to the army for sending me for medical training which has been very helpful. Praise the Lord!

The first day, one of the campers was hit quite hard by a soccer-ball on the arm and in turn, her elbow hit her ribs. She was in pain. Initially she was okay after I asked another sister-in-Christ to spray some ointment on her but about 30 minutes later, she said she had difficulty breathing and that her left side of her body was a little numb. It was then that I panicked. I decided to send her to the doctor. After she was examined, we were told that there was to be no cause for concern and some medications were prescribed to help ease the pain.

Yesterday, another camper had quite a bad asthmatic attack - she collapsed while playing some beach games. When I rushed to her, she was gasping. At that point, I was also scared and I whispered a prayer and asked God to help me.

I made her sit up straight, her head rested on my thigh areas as I stood behind her. I lifted her head a little so that she could breathe better. Her breathing was regulated after a while and I gave her ventolin to inhale.

After about 10 minutes, we decided to move her to a more shady area. When she was about to sit down under the shelter, again her asthmatic attack came. I panicked even more as I did not expect it to happen for a second time. I prayed even harder and more desperately.

After fanning her and making her sit upright and head lifted a little again, she recovered eventually. I was so happy when I saw the recovery. Hallelujah!

These two incidents were really a test for me. As I look back now, I remembered very clearly each time after I prayed that I became calm. I could even hear this small voice telling me what to do and I just followed - I knew it was the voice of God guiding and instructing me.

He did more than just the above-mentioned. He provided us the ventolin inhaler we needed. The beach was quite sparsed with beachgoers but when the Camp Commandant ran around looking for the inhaler, he found it.

Not only did God do this, he also provided us very timely with the church's facility officer who was there in both incidents. He has a car and that was truly 'heaven-sent' (maybe I should sign up for my driving test again and buy myself a car for incidents like this when an automobile will come in handy) - the first incident was to bring the camper to the clinic and the other was to send her back to church so that she could rest.

Well, there are areas in my life that I need to cry out to God and it is my prayer that I will always hear that still small voice to lead and guide me accordingly. There are occasions when I could not hear that voice at all. I think it was not because God did not listen to my prayers, I guess He wanted me to wait. Waiting is always a test of my faith because I do not know what to expect except to continue living in suspense till He shows me the direction. One thing I am also certain is that God makes all things beautiful in His time and not mine. Thanks be to Him for that assurance!

I am glad I have learnt some things from the camp. I pray my faith in God will last till the day I die. I do not know how big the next trial is going to be for my life but I guess even now as I anticipate that, I will trust God to pull me through them and make me a better person for Him and for the people around me.

My life's journey continues - many roadworks and pot-holes along the way but as the song goes... "God will make a way where there seems to be no way. He works in ways we cannot see, He will make a way for me. He will be my guide, hold me closely to His side. With love and strength for each new day. He will make a way. He will make a way."

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1

No comments: