Sunday, December 31, 2006

Guarding Of The Tongue

I am very sleepy but I am pressing on as I am doing two things now - typing this blog and watching Liverpool's match against Tottenham Hotspurs. The Reds are leading by one goal to nil! Yay! Go! Liverpool! You'll Never Walk Alone! :)

Anyway, yesterday had been a great day but I think too much eating for me throughout. I had brunch with my God-sister in Toa Payoh. At around 2pm, I went to another gathering for the leaders of the Youth Ministry (YM). Well, I ate so much there - I am still full though it is already past midnight. :)

In between brunch with my God-sister and the gathering for the YM leaders, I was in Bishan Junction 8 to check out some stuff at the shopping centre. It was here I met a dear sister-in-Christ from another church.

While I was talking to her, my PDA-Phone dropped from the holder and I basically mouthed the word, "SHIT!" She remarked that I should not use such unedifying words. I apologised to her for having said that.

Anyway, just now when I was reflecting through the day, I realised how hypocritical I have been because during the preparation for the Youth Camp earlier this month, I rebuked some youth leaders by urging them not to use unedifying words like shit, oh my God, damn, cock, etc.

Now I am using it myself. I have to be very careful not to use such words because the very tongue I used to mouth these words is also used to praise God - how can this be? It just does not make any sense! Moreover, what happens if a younger or weaker sibling-in-Christ were to hear it? I would have stumbled him or her.

Many times we feel that it is okay to use such words (because everyone else seems to be using them) but if we want to remain holy and godly in our daily walk with God, then such practices need to be put to a stop. It is tough but I will strife to build the body rather than to tear it down because of my carelessness.

I praise the Lord for the rebuke from my sister-in-Christ! I pray the Lord will cleanse my mouth and control my tongue so that what comes out of it will be for the glory of His name and the edification of the Body of Christ.

10 more minutes and the match will be over. Cannot wait to sleep soon as I have to play the drums later at the combined service. Long day ahead and wow, today is the last day of the year 2006. Time really flies! I shall write more on my reflection of this year soon.

Praise the Lord for this beautiful day!

"Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check. When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and saltwater flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water." James 3:1-11

No comments: