Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Press The Button Of Prayer

I spent the later part of the morning and the early afternoon in hospital. I went for a check-up because the past few days my tummy area has been rather painful and I suspected it is the recurrence of the stomach ulcers.

A scan and biopsy were carried out and it is confirmed that I have an ulcer the size of a 20-cent coin. This is considered small already. I used to have one the size of a 50-cent coin.

The doctor had to do a biopsy to ascertain the extent of the infection and also to ensure that it is nothing more than just an ulcer. The part of my tummy where the needle was inserted is now sore.

Well, I am so used to visiting the hospital that another trip today did not affect me whatsoever. It is like going to a place to visit old friends as in the doctors and nurses. Haha.

Since a couple of years ago when I was diagnosed to have acute renal failure and having struggled a couple of months questioning and finding out what God's will is for me to go through all these illnesses, I have learnt to leave it to Him.

I cannot deny that I am anxious about the report which will be released next week but by worrying, it does not make things better. If that is the case, the only way now is to leave it in God's hand and trust Him to make a way for me.

Anyway, in between the scan and the biopsy, there was a gap of two hours. Since I cannot have lunch, I decided to go to the Paediatrics Department to visit some children. I also know some nurses there. In the past, after I was done with my dialysis treatment, I would go up and play with the kids for a while.

As I was coming out of the lift, I was greeted by a girl, who is 7 years old. Her name is Wendy Sim. She just smiled at me and asked whether I was visiting my child. I told her I was not and she gave me this puzzled look. I just told her I wanted to visit the kids like her in the wards and she started showing me around, introducing me to some of the children she had befriended.

I got to know 5 young ones in all: three girls and two boys - the girls are Jestina, Li Wen, Shanti and the boys are Wen Ping and Shay. The youngest of them all was Shay - he is only 3 years old.

I got a chance to talk to two nurses I know. I found out from them that Wendy is suffering from some intestinal disorder where she will just vomit out most of the food she eats. As for Shay, he has kidney ailment. If people do not know that he has problems with his kidneys, they will probably find him very cute - chubby face and all. It is not because this boy is fat but he has water retention. His case is considered quite serious as he has been in and out of hospital almost 4 times this year.

I found out that Wendy, Li Wen and Shay are Christians. The two girls were showing Shay some pictures they coloured and I could tell that some of the characters are from the Bible. There was also a scene of a manger where Li Wen coloured the sheep purple. :) Li Wen suffers from vertigo - she is hospitalised because she hit her head against a chair when she lost her balance.

I took up the courage to pray with my three young siblings-in-Christ. I assured them that Jesus is always there for them when they need Him. I told them that Jesus is like a nurse - when they need help, all they have to do is press the button by their beds and the nurse will come to them.

Li Wen asked whether Jesus is as fierce as one of the nurses they know and I told them He can be, sometimes, if they disobey. Haha. I hope I did not scare them.

As for Shanti, Jestina and Wen Ping, I prayed quietly for them and I hope God will also help them in their time of need or pain.

As I was typing the above account with the kids, I realised the lessons I shared with them can also be applied in the lives of older Christians like me. It served as a reminder that God is Emmanuel - He is always with us and when we are in need, all we have to do is to press the button of prayer and He will come to our aid. Just as much as I hope I did not scare Li Wen when I told her that Jesus can be fierce if she disobeys, it is actually true that He will be angry if we chooses to rebel.

Well, for me it is a fruitful day in the midst of the physical pain I had to endure.

Thanks be to God for pain because then it makes me realised how human I am. :)

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:25-34

No comments: