Friday, December 29, 2006

It Is God Whom We Are Serving!

I pray as I type this blog that I will not fall into a sin of being judgmental. It was more of a disappointment than anything else that I feel a need for it to be addressed.

I am also guilty of this occasionally but it is time that every servant of God needs to reflect and be careful about.

In all our service to Him, how many times have we failed to remember that it is God whom we are serving? And it is not just an ordinary God we serve; every Christian in his or her ministry serves an Almighty God - Creator of heaven and earth; the beginning (Alpha) and the end (Omega)!

I was involved in the worship team rehearsal tonight and this Sunday I am playing the drums. Initially everything went on pretty smoothly but as it proceeded on, things became messy. Members of the team became quite distracted. Everyone was not in sync with one another. The team just went on from one song to another when we knew that certain songs needed to be worked on further. When we could not play properly one of the songs in the list, we just conveniently decided to chuck it. A member received a call from a friend and suddenly he told the team that he needs to leave early.

I am a perfectionist to a certain extent but I will not let this be used against me that I am being too rigid. There are times when I know I need to cool it and be gracious but there are also times when servants of God need to wake up their idea and attitude. When that happens, I will not just keep quiet and pretend that everything was okay.

If one has committed himself to serve the Lord for that particular week, then he should give his all to serve Him. If other things crop up, it should not take precedence of his initial commitment unless it is an emergency that involves life and death.

Moreover this is a team that will be encouraging the congregation to worship the Lord in spirit and in truth. If the members themselves are not practising it, who are we to tell others to do so? It is just so hypocritical!

Anyway, I pray on Sunday that everything will fall in place through the grace and guidance of God. I also pray that God will guide my thoughts and actions because I also have my weaknesses and shortcomings.

Well, I pray the name of the Lord be glorified as the church come together to worship Him on Sunday!

I shall go sleep soon.

May the Lord forgive me if I have sinned in what I have written above.

N.B. - The next time we serve in the various ministries, let us think about Whom we are serving. He deserves more respect. Service is not about us but God!

"Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth." John 4:23-24

"But be very careful to keep the commandment and the law that Moses the servant of the LORD gave you: to love the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, to obey his commands, to hold fast to him and to serve him with all your heart and all your soul." Joshua 22:5

"Now fear the LORD and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your forefathers worshiped beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD. But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." Then the people answered, "Far be it from us to forsake the LORD to serve other gods!" Joshua 24:14-16

"Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men..." Ephesians 6:7

No comments: