Sunday, December 10, 2006

In Christ Alone

I have to start today's blog with this - "Thank You, Almighty God, for everything."

I have to say those words to my gracious Father - if not for Him, I really would not have known what to do when I was placed in a couple of situations where my limited human understanding and ability just could not allow me to handle them.

In my previous blog, I mentioned certain incidents that happened during the first two days of the Youth Ministry Camp 2006.

Yesterday was the most trying for me.

One thing happened after the other. I did not even have the time to catch a breather.

The camper who had asthma attack on the second day of camp when we were at Sentosa had another last night. It was worst than the previous as she was wheezing badly and a couple of times, she got so weak that her breathing stopped. I had to shout at my dear sister-in-Christ to ensure that she would keep breathing. I had to make her sit upright with her head tilted up at all times. I had to also rub her chest.

After about 15 minutes, when her condition did not improve, I decided she needed professional medical attention urgently. We called a member of the church who is a doctor. We were advised to go to her clinic which she had to open specially for us.

I had to carry my sister-in-Christ down from the third level to the basement one carpark. I was already actually very tired, especially after a long day outing with the campers doing some community blessings. I had to also carry her from the car into the clinic. I thank God for giving me the strength to carry her.

Anyway, the camper was given a breathing apparatus with some medication attached to the machine. The equipment is called Nebulizer. The vapour produced helped to clear the air passage and she was able to breathe better in the process. She was also given an injection and had to take two kinds of oral medications.

When her condition stabilised, we brought her back to church. The camp committee decided that the camper should go home to have a proper rest. After she packed up, two other leaders and I accompanied her home.

When we reached back church, someone informed me that a camper had fallen down in the ladies' toilet. I quickly rushed up to attend to her.

The camper was already on a chair when I went into the toilet. I was concerned that she was moved from floor to an elevated platform like a chair because if the camper had a spinal injury, something more serious might occur during the transfer.

Anyway, I had to press gently her spinal cord - if she had a sudden jerk or no feelings at all, then her case could have been serious. Praise the Lord none of these were visible.

We let her rest for a while. I made the decision that she should go home so that she could sleep on a proper bed as all campers were sleeping on the floor with just a sleeping bag. I also advised the camper's father that he should bring her daughter to the hospital for a scan if her condition did not improve the following day.

When I came back to church again, I had to attend to a few other campers who had constipation, gastritis attack and headaches.

Throughout the above incidents, I appeared to remain calm (so as not to affect the campers who were either injured, unwell or present at the scenes watching) but inside me, there were cries of desperation and for help.

I needed help from my Almighty God because it pained my heart badly to see how difficult it was for my dear sister-in-Christ to breathe and the cold she had to bear; the pain for another sister had to endure after the fall; and for the rest of the campers who were affected when they knew about the incidents.

When I was on my own, tears just flowed because it was then that I could release all the fears, anxieties and pains openly.

What have I learnt? Simply that God does not fail when we cry out to Him for help. Really - I experienced that first-hand when I attended to all the incidents that happened right from Day One of the camp.

I sang the words of one of my favourite songs...

Verse 1:
In Christ alone will I glory
though I could pride myself in battles won.
For I've been blessed beyond measure
and by His strength alone I overcome.
Oh, I could stop and count successes
like diamonds in my hand.
But those trophies could not equal
to the grace by which I stand.

Chorus:
In Christ alone I place my trust
and find my glory in the power of the cross.
In every victory let it be said of me;
my source of strength, my source of hope
is Christ alone.

Verse 2:
In Christ alone will I glory,
for only by His grace I am redeemed.
Only His tender mercy
could reach beyond my weakness to my need.
Now I seek no greater honor
than just to know Him more
and to count my gains but losses
to the glory of the Lord.

Last Line:
My source of strength, my source of hope
Is Christ alone

You know, initially when I was reflecting on all that had happened, I thought to myself, "Wow! How come so much spiritual warfare? The devil is really laying a foothold in the camp."

Now as I look back again, I think I should stop giving the evil one so much credits. He could have created some havoc but he was forgetful enough to remember that ultimately, God will triumph. He forgot that at the end of it all, God receives the glory!

The camp is definitely a success. The theme was on "Faith" and faith was definitely practised and strengthened throughout - through prayers that the campers uttered for their fellow siblings-in-Christ; through the testimonies shared today before the camp came to a close; the encouragement and support given to each other.

Well, thanks and glory be to God who never fails us!

"Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father." John 14:11-13

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4

No comments: