Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Can Someone Tell That I Am A CHRISTIAN?

I attended my grand-aunty's funeral at noon today. The procession was to begin at 1:30pm. I went there early to see whether I could offer some assistance should the family need any.

When I arrived, there were others who were there much earlier than me. They were from the temple that one of my late grand-aunty's daughters worshipped in. I do not know the name of the temple but they were all very well-dressed. All in white-top and black-bottom. Out of the 100 over of them, about 75% were young adults. The temple used to be located just opposite Heartland Mall and it has since moved to Sengkang.

I remembered the temple to be a crowded place where there were many youths and young adults attending the worship sessions. There were even carpark wardens along the road to direct traffic as it was always congested with cars.

I remembered the designs to be modern and if one did not notice the details of the building, one would think that a Christian service was in session.

Anyway, I was observing the whole group as the rituals were being done - it lasted more than an hour and the whole rites were very elaborate and repetitive.

The worshippers were very caring and helpful - always there for the family. They did all the preparations so that the family could concentrate on mourning for my late grand-aunty.

When I was observing every detail of the funeral and the devotees, a question popped up in my mind - can someone actually tell whether I am a Christian or not?

I do not really know why this question came to mind but it sure kept me thinking.

How is Christianity different from other religions that people can actually be drawn to it? Why is it that some churches in the world are dying? Why is it that many people feel that Christians are hypocrites? If the Christian faith is alive and real, then why is it that the masses are not attracted to it?

Am I living out my faith? Or am I no different from the world? Is the downfall of the churches the fault of Christians themselves?

It is quite scary to ask all those questions above because it is vital that I, as a Christian, need to know and be sure of my identity in Christ and that I have been redeemed and set free from the bondages of sin and death.

If I continue to live my life defeated and am always discouraged and being negative about what I do, say or think, then I will definitely repel more than I attract people to the faith.

I guess it is time for me to really live out my faith and stand out for Christ!

Something for you and me to think about and act upon. :)

I got my medical test report when I called the hospital. Praise the Lord the stomach ulcer was just a laceration and nothing more. Hallelujah!

Well, it has been another long day - after the funeral, I headed for church to prepare some stuff for the Mission Ministry.

I also had to meet a couple to plan for their wedding next month. It is always wonderful to see another two of my dear friends making a commitment to share their lives together in marriage. :) I hope I will be able to do a good job, with the help of the Lord, so that the couple will enjoy the special day that He has made for them.

Time to rest my body for the day.

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:14-16

No comments: