Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Just Wondering

This morning when I spent some time in prayer for my Khmer siblings-in-Christ, I was challenged once again to do something which I did a couple of Christmases ago. I was moved to use the money that I am going to spend buying presents for friends here this Christmas for another purpose instead - that is to give the amount to those who are in need, both here and in Cambodia.

I shall continue to pray about the above-mentioned - not as in whether to help the needy or not but to decide whether I should do both, as in bless the needy as well as still buy presents for friends. For those who are reading my blog - what do you think? Haha.

I was also wondering - why is it that we want to bless friends with gifts only on Christmas when we can do it any time of the year?

Anyway, these were just two thoughts that kept me wondering.

I went out with my God-sister and God-daughters today. I had a great time with them though I am now a prune. My blood was sucked dry by the trio. I was outnumbered and all decisions made were based on "majority wins" - I guess it is not too difficult to guess who was the losing party. Haiz. :)

Anyway, we went to Sakae Sushi in Wheelock Place for lunch - we had 24 normal plates; 2 red plates; 3 cans of soft drinks; and 2 bottles of orange juice. It is quite scary to see how a group of young girls, one a 7-year old, the other a 10-year old and another a 15-year old girl, could eat so much sushies in a meal. After that, they still could eat ice-cream from Haato. Amazing!

We headed next to Fuji Ice Palace to ice-skate. It was fun, though tiring. It was also amusing to see how my God-daughters skated. They kept falling down that their trousers got so wet from the damp surface. I am thankful that my God-sis was patient enough to guide the two little ones and picking them up each time they fell. In the end, both my God-daughters could skate better.

A lesson I learnt from this is how a stronger brother or sister-in-Christ should help a weaker sibling-in-Christ when in need. To do so, he or she must be patient enough to guide and help pick the person up each time he or she falls. In doing so, eventually that brother or sister would be able to stand firm and move on his or her own.

We left the skating ring at around 4:15pm and it was time to send the two young ones home.

My God-sister and I went on to shop for some stuff. We had a great time of fellowship together over dinner. We also spent some time in Acts Christian Bookstore situated at Raffles City. She bought some encouragement cards and bookmarks.

When we were browsing the shop, we saw a section where Bibles were going on sale. This sparked something in us and it made us wonder why is it that the Word of God, given to us freely by God, has now a price-tag on it and in some occasions, sold at a discount?

Are we using the Word for man's own profiteering by the simple fact that we are selling them and are we cheapening the Bible when it is place on sale at a discount?

I do not mean to start a debate here but it was quite an interesting thought. Maybe if Bibles are available free-of-charge, many more will read it.

Anyway, so much for all that. I am very tired now. Shall sleep soon. Tomorrow is my late grand-aunty's funeral. It should be an emotionally-draining day for all attending. I hope God will help me to comfort my relatives.

"Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their work:

If one falls down,
his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls
and has no one to help him up!

Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?"

Ecclesiastes 4:9-11

No comments: