Tuesday, June 10, 2008

When It's All Been Said And Done

I turned 36 yesterday. Time really flies. I will always remember when I was in my teens, I wondered how life would be like when I am in my 30s. Well, now that I am there, I know how it is and I praise the Lord for bringing me thus far in this pilgrim's journey. I do not know how long I will be trodding but one thing I am sure - I am going to enjoy every bit of my remaining days here on earth.

Three groups of people celebrated my birthday at the church camp - one was from the youths; the other from closer friends; and the third was the whole church. I am thankful to God for these my friends. Their kind gestures have encouraged and blest my life richly. The fact that they are my friends and family are already a blessing! Hallelujah!

Two questions were posed to me - one was "Are you afraid of growing old?" and the other was "Do you know at this age you are on a downward curve?"

My answer to the first question was a "No!" I do not mean to sound arrogant but a person who is afraid of growing old is one who does know what life is about for him or her. By this I am not saying that I know full well what life is for me but one thing I know for sure is the purpose of my being here on earth - I will let God use my all to serve Him and also His people. It has been a joy trying to live my life to be a blessing to others. I used the word "trying" because I am not perfect and at times, I do let people down because of my weaknesses and shortcomings. Though I struggle with that constantly, I am not going to be put down by it but let God continue to mould me accordingly. Hopefully over time I will be more refined. :)

As for the second question, am I really on a downward curve? Why should it be that way? Should it not be upward since as each day draws closer to death, I am closer to heaven?

The world may scare every individual about aging. That's because their end point is death on earth. For God's people, there is life after death. If that is the case, then where I am now is just a transit. I am looking forward to what is ahead - may the Lord continue to be a light unto my path! :)

I had three different kinds of cakes during the celebrations at the camp - two chocolate cakes and one mixed-fruit cake. I guess it is time to work out and burn off those extra calories. Haha.

I managed to finish my work by 3pm. I left for town to buy two rechargeable batteries for my mouse. I also met my sister for tea after her exam. The Lord has been good to her because this afternoon she was panicking about her paper. We prayed and the Word of God also gave her assurance. When she did her paper, she was calm enough to complete all the questions except one within an hour. This was a three-hour paper, mind you!

When I got a call from her at 4 plus in the afternoon, me of little faith thought that she was not able to deal with the questions. I was proven wrong and I felt so happy for this dear sibling! Truly this is a testimony of how God can calm our hearts when anxieties set in. So long as we fix our eyes on Him, we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us!

Well, time for me to end here and just listen to some music as I surf the net.

Good night, everyone! Look forward to each day - there are new treasures to be unearthed!

Oh yah, the words of this song came to mind yesterday as I reflected on my life at 36!

When It's All Been Said And Done
By Don Moen

When it's all been said and done,
there is just one thing that matters.
Did I do my best to live for truth?
Did I live my life for You?

When it's all been said and done,
all my treasures will mean nothing.
Only what I've done for love's reward
will stand the test of time.

Lord, Your mercy is so great -
That You look beyond our weakness
and find purest gold in miry clay,
making sinners into saints.
I will always sing Your praise,
here on earth and ever after,
for You've shown me Heaven's my true home
when it's all been said and done.

You're my life when life is gone;
Lord I'll live my life for You.

"Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." 1 Corinthians 9:19-27

No comments: