Friday, June 20, 2008

Pain Is Not About Suffering But Awakening

My back feels sore even as I type now. Anyway, I know the Lord is still in the process of healing me and I shall wait for that day to come when all the discomfort will go away once and for all. Just took the painkillers.

Sometimes I wonder why God created pain. Frankly I do not have the answer but it was a thought that came to mind just now.

Perhaps, it is to remind us that we are humans. Sometimes we think that we are invincible but I guess pain brings us back down to earth and cause us to see that we are not. Pain also warns us of the need to take care of our bodies - to be a good steward of it and not subject it to abuses in the way we eat, exercise, rest. Pain also humbles us to empathise with others who are suffering as well so that we can offer care to that person and also to pray for that individual. Of course, hopefully others will do likewise for us when we ourselves are in need.

I do not know - the above-mentioned are just some reflections. Anyway, I promised my sister that I would tell my parents about the accident. Just now I shared it with them and naturally they were concern. I also told grandma and she panicked but I managed to calm her down. I basically reminded her that God has pulled me through several physical struggles in the past couple of years and He will continue to do so. She is so cute - she started taking out all the ointments she has been using on herself when she suffers from rheumatism and asked me to use them when the pain comes. I told her medication has been prescribed for me and that I will use hers when mine runs out. She then took back everything and placed them on her table.

Well, at least this is a load off my shoulders.

Anyway, I had to chair the Missions Committee meeting last night. Prior to that, I was all prepared for a long-drawn meeting since we were discussing about the proposed budget of the ministry for the next financial year. I was in church earlier and I basically went to the fire-exit stairways to spend some time in prayer and also reading God's Word.

What I was prepared to face did not happen. Instead God surprised me when the discussion of the budget matters only took 30 minutes. Two issues were brought up by the Committee members. We discussed and dealt with them. After that the whole Committee endorsed the proposed budget and we went on with the other three two items in the agenda. Next year's budget will increase considerably but I have faith that the Lord will help us raise this targetted amount.

We started at 8pm and we ended all brainstorming by 9:15pm. We then took some time to pray for all the missionaries and local field workers of my church; the pastor, leaders and members of the Cambodian church we are supporting; and also one another who are serving in the Missions Committee. After the closing prayer I looked at my watch and it was only 9:40pm.

Thanks be to God that we included a considerable amount of time for prayer as I always believe that in the ministry of missions it is not about the administrative matters that are crucial but that of prayer. The work of missions always involves spiritual warfare. It is not the administrative aspect of the ministry which will help those in it fight the evil principalities but the spiritual aspect where God will reign over all things. Ultimately He will be the One who will help us triumph and triumph we will! :)

I went home relieved and thankful for all that God has done for me yesterday.

I am actually feeling bored but I will not let that put me down. I shall go find something to do after this.

"Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed." 1 Peter 4:12-13

"And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." Revelation 21:3-5

No comments: