Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Pain In The Neck!

I am back at the Coffee Bean cafe in Ngee Ann City to get some work done. Prior to this, I decided to go to the beach along East Coast Parkway to spend some time with the Lord. It is always refreshing to commune with Him when my spirit is down. I am not totally depressed but thought I go somewhere quiet to be with my Father.

I wanted to bring along my guitar but in the end, the thought of lugging it around after that made me decide against the idea. Lazy-bum, I know! Haha. Well, that did not stop me from worshipping the Lord in songs with my voice. Singing praises allowed me to put aside everything else and to focus my eyes on God and God alone. Learning to give thanks in the midst of my struggles also allowed me to accept them as a time of learning and growing.

I sang a chorus - though old but the words are still ever so powerful. Here goes:-

Give Thanks

Give thanks with a grateful heart.
Give thanks to the Holy One.
Give thanks for He has given Jesus Christ, His Son.
Give thanks with a grateful heart.
Give thanks to the Holy One.
Give thanks for He has given Jesus Christ, His Son.

And now, let the weak say "I am strong."
Let the poor say, "I am rich."
Because of what the Lord has done for us.
And now, let the weak say, "I am strong."
Let the poor say, "I am rich."
Because of what the Lord has done for us.
Give thanks.

I also read God's Word from Psalm 73:25-26 - "Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

This passage brought a lot of assurance to my heart as it reminded me of God being my strength when I fail Him. I am always thankful to the Lord for giving us His Word to comfort us. He never fails though many times we have failed Him.

As I was pondering on the above verses and also on my neck injury, I realised I can literally be a "pain in the neck" to God at times. Haha. Though that happens pretty often in my pilgrim's journey, God, in His grace and mercy, still bears with my nonsense. I praise Him for being patient with me and allowing me to learn from my mistakes.

The past two days have not really been that great for me because of the sores I am experiencing. Last week was not that bad but these few days the condition seems to have worsened. Though occasionally I get a little frustrated, I would try to divert it to God and ask Him to give me a heart of thanksgiving.

A dear brother-in-Christ encouraged me in one of his messages to trust in the Lord and from His observation in what I have gone through these few years, he said God's track records in my life are pretty remarkable. He asked me to dwell in His goodness and find peace and rest in the Lord.

Being quiet before God also brings healing to the soul and I could literally feel it - from a heart of heaviness, slowly I could feel the load being lifted as I was brought back to the knowledge of His omnipresence in my life. Peace then comes along and that was when I know God has brought about His healing of emotions in my life.

The moment spent on the breakwater was not just about me. I also took the time to pray for my sister's exam. I am thankful that she pulled through today's paper though she has been physically and mentally drained from revising and having not recovered from the lack of sleep last week when she stayed vigil at her grandfather's wake.

Tomorrow is her last paper and I am already excited for her as it would then mean she can rest all she wants and be recharged!

Well, the sun got hotter as the time drew closer to noon and that was when I decided to leave and come here to do my work. It is great to meet the staff of the cafe who are now my friends. One of them heard that I was on medical leave that she gave me a glass of hot chocolate. Slowly word got around and more of the crew came by to wish me well. Haha. Praise the Lord for them!

I am almost done - did some work on the Missions Ministry's Newsletter and also drafted the budget proposal for the next financial year.

I shall heed my sister's advice and go home soon to rest.

Thanks be to God for this day! God is good and His love endures forever! Amen to that! :)

No comments: