Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Encounters With A Child And A Man

Before we left for the Botanic Gardens




At the Botanic Gardens Food Court. That's my sister on the top left photo.




The bread that baby Claire is holding was meant for the fish and swans but she ate it instead.



We shared the bread with the tourists around us. Claire still eating her bread. :)



These were taken at the Bonzai Garden.



Isn't Claire cute?!!! :)



On our way to Vivocity to meet up with Claire's parents.



The stuffed dog that my sister and I bought for Claire from Toys R Us!

It has been an eventful day for me. I took leave to babysit Claire with my sister while her parents went on a date to Little India. Since arriving from the U.S. three weeks ago they have not visited this tourist spot and decided to do so today since their little one is not with them.

I cannot deny that I was quite stressed out by this babysitting responsibility. Firstly, it was only on Sunday that Claire warmed up to me after two weeks of attempts to win her trust; secondly she is teething and can be temperamental; thirdly, she is someone else's child and it is not something to be taken lightly. It did not help that this morning it threatened to storm - the skies were dark and the wind really strong.

My sister and I prayed about it. I also submitted to God all the fears I mentioned above.

God really answered all my prayers and my sister's. I want to say it here rather than leave it to the last. All thanks and glory to God! First of all, the weather eased up without a single drop of rain and the sun came out from among the clouds.

I went to pick Claire up at Serangoon North with my sister - a place belonging to a Lay Ministry Staff of my church, who is also Claire's parents' good friend. Claire's dad briefed me on some pointers on how to take care of his daughter. The little one had to take a nap first. I took the time to read the papers while my sister practised her piano as she had to take her Grade 8 exams next month.

After about an hour and a half, I packed all the diapers, wet-wipes and toys into my bag. Along with Claire's stroller/pram we began our journey of being babysitters for the day. We took a cab to Botanic Gardens where we had lunch before going to the pond to feed the fish and swans.

I must say that Claire is really a big eater! Before we left, she had some toast and omelette. She also had a packet of raisins that my sister bought. At the foodcourt, Claire had hor fun, another packet of raisins and some slices of apples. I was amazed at her appetite. My sister and I had some of the hor fun too and we also ordered mutton mutarbak.

I was prepared to tackle a moody Claire but to my surprise she was very well-behaved throughout the outing except for some moments when she wanted some attention. We went on to feed the swans and fish with the loaf of bread which my sister bought. I gave Claire a slice of bread to feed the fish and swans. You know what she did to it? She ate the bread instead! Haha!

We also took a couple of pictures which are also posted on this blog. We walked around the park for a while before heading to our next destination, Vivocity, where we had to meet Claire's parents to return their lovely daughter to them.

We detoured to Toys R Us for a while as I wanted to buy Claire a toy. We got a stuffed dog for her after showing her a few other options of a stuffed duck, monkey, bear and also Barney. We also bought her a bubble blower.

Well, that marked the end of our adventure as babysitters. After bidding farewell to my siblings-in-Christ from the U.S.A., my sister and I heaved a sigh of relief as we went on with our shopping plans. We thanked God for giving us a great time and above all, for answering every single prayer of ours! Once again, thanks be to God!

I dare not say that I have learnt all about parenthood after one day of caring for a little child but one lesson I was taught from this experience is this - to instruct a child, we need to continually affirm him or her for the right things done. For the mistakes made, we need to point them out along with an explanation and also offer a solution or an alternative. Yay! Child Education 101! :)

Anyway, that was the encounter for the day part. In the evening after seeing my sister home, I was on my way to have laksa for dinner along Tanjong Katong Road. Suddenly I heard a couple of honkings from cars on the opposite side of the road. I caught sight of a man in a wheelchair on the side of the road. He has only one leg and was using the remaining one to drag the wheelchair.

I rushed to his side, asked whether I could help push his wheelchair and bring him to the place he had planned to go. He told me he wanted to visit the shops near Parkway Parade Shopping Centre. With that, I wheeled this dear individual to his destination. As we walked, I prayed for the man. I also tried to strike a conversation with him but he was not too opened. He even refused to give me his name when I asked for it. He said it was not important. Anyway, when we arrived, I asked him whether he had eaten dinner. He shared that he has not consumed anything the whole day. Since there was a hawker centre in the vicinity, I offered to buy him some food. Both of us had noodles and I praise God that he had his fill at least for today.

I was humbled by this encounter. I also felt sad and burdened for this poor individual, not knowing whether he will have something to eat tomorrow. Anyway, before we went on our separate ways, I gave him whatever cash that was left in my wallet. Hopefully that will sustain him for a while. I also pray he will soon find his place in society again. The mere fact that he refused to tell me his name, citing reasons that it was not important, speaks volume. Is he ashamed of himself?

Well, this short moment spent with the man suffering from diabetes has reminded me not to take the blessings God has given me for granted. I have to admit that many times I do, by the kind and amount of food I eat; by the way I spend my money; forgetting that there are many out there who do not even have rice to enjoy.

Anyway, praise God for little nudges like the above-mentioned to help others who are in need! I pray I will serve these persons as they come along and to do so regularly and not during times when God gives me a kick in the butt!

Okay, I have written enough for today! I am quite tired actually. My respect to all parents with children! It is truly a daunting responsibility to bring up a child but it should be a joyful task to do so!

Good night, everyone! :)

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

"Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord." Ephesians 6:4

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27

No comments: