Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Some Things In Life Can Be Averted

Something happened today which made me realised that if some effort were put in and observations made, I would not have felt so frustrated.

In the afternoon, around 4pm, I had to send a visiting professor off at the airport. After that I decided to go to Parkway Parade Shopping Centre to check out whether some of the electrical mega-stores located in the mall sell dry cabinets which I have been looking for. I was also checking out some LCD televisions which my parents may want to buy for their room.

Anyway, that was not the cause of the frustration. After I was done checking out the above-mentioned, I took bus service 36 to Suntec City which I hope to check out more of the appliances at Carrefour and then after to Harvey Norman in Millennia Walk Shopping Centre.

When it approached the destination, I pressed the bell, indicating to the bus-captain that I was going to alight at the next bus-stop. The bus passed Suntec City but it did not stop and I wondered why - I asked the driver and he said there was a detour due to the JP Morgan Run.

Because of that, it had to make a big round to avoid the running route and the next stop would only be at City Hall MRT which was quite a distant away from where I intended to go. I started to get angry with JP Morgan company for organising the "stupid" run which caused a massive jam around the Suntec City area, inconveniencing thousands of office workers and other Singaporeans and tourists; I started to get frustrated with the bus company for not considering placing temporary stops along the detoured routes so that commuters can alight closer to their destinations; I started complaining about the numerous traffic lights in Singapore (almost every 50m there is one); I also get agitated when some cars started to break the law by being in the yellow box while making a turn which then blocked the bus I was in.

I can go on and on. After wasting about 20 minutes in the bus due to the detour, I alighted at City Hall MRT area and was still fuming as I headed to where I wanted to go. My evening was simply ruined because of all the inconveniences.

I just spent some time reflecting on the day I had gone through. Now that my mind has calmed down, I learnt a couple of things from this encounter:-

1) I could have been more observant when I flagged down the bus - on the windscreen there was a notice pasted to inform commuters of the run;

2) I could have been more tolerant with JP Morgan company - afterall the run is held once a year;

3) I could have been more reasonable when I was unhappy with the bus company - they might have thought of the idea I had but it probably might not have been feasible as it would create more jams should these extra buses, which are not supposed to ply along the detoured route on a normal day, stopped at make-shift bus-stops;

4) As for the traffic lights - if other days have been fine with me, why complain about it now, just because everything else added up to my frustration today;

5) I only lost 20 minutes of my time because of this special event planned - is it worth it to be so agitated by it and caused my health to be affected? Some people actually died of heart attacks because of such agitations.

I have heard of this phrase which people used quite often - "There are some things which we cannot control." It is true to a certain extent but there are many things which we can control and probably would have made life much easier to live with if we had been more careful; if some plannings were in order; if there were more observations made; etc.

Well, praise the Lord for lessons learnt.

I was a walking zombie the whole day as I had only about 2 hours of sleep. Who's fault? Andy Chew! :(

I stayed up to watch the Champions League semi-final first leg match between Liverpool and Chelsea. Liverpool played pretty well throughout the 94 minutes of the match but in literally the last second and touch of the match, one of the Reds scored an own goal which gave Chelsea an edge due to the away-goal rule.

I screamed my head off when that happened and the time then was close to 5am. My dad woke up and asked whether I was okay. Haha. It was good that he was awoken because I might just have a heart-attack then when I got so worked up. Haha.

I really do not know how the Reds will perform next week in the second leg. I also do not know whether I should stay up again to watch the match. We shall see. :)

Alright, I shall stop ranting. Need to get some work done now.

Another day of learning tomorrow!

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires." Galatians 5:22-24

"A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control." Proverbs 29:11

No comments: