Monday, April 14, 2008

It Pays To Wait

Something interesting happened while I was on my way home from work. I was in the train nearing Outram Park MRT Station when suddenly I felt this urge to visit one of the camera shops in Peninsula Plaza. Instead of alighting at Outram Park to change to the North-East Line to head home, I stayed on and alighted at City Hall MRT Station instead.

Before going to the shop I had in mind, I visited a few other shops first to check out the price of a Sigma Tele-Converter 2X for my Sigma 50-500mm lens which I acquired not too long ago to increase the focal length by twice the distance. This is important when I do nature photography.

The price quoted was still high and frankly I was not considering a first-hand set as I did not see the need to spend so much. I also posted an advertisement on http://www.clubsnap.com.sg/ to ask whether anyone is willing to sell theirs for the price of S$150. The cost of a new set is S$350. Yup, I know I am pushing it a little too far asking for such a low price. Anyway, I have been hopeful that one day someone might just sell it to me.

Anyway, I went to the shop that I was prompted to when I was in the train and guess what?! The owner was clearing his Sigma products! He has decided to carry another brand instead. And guess what again?! There was one set left of the Tele-Converter which I was looking for and he gave me one quote - $200.

I was stunned when I heard that and without hesitation we closed the deal there and then and now I am the proud owner of the Tele-Converter! Man! Slightly more than 40% off the original price and it is a new set with warranty! Hallelujah! Truly my prayer has been answered - though not immediately but eventually! :)

It is amazing how God works. I must confess that I can be quite an impulsive shopper - if I have something in mind, I will surely get it in a day or two regardless of whether the price is right or not. Of course I will still go around getting quotations but I know in a short period, the product would be in my hand. This is a weakness that I am still trying to overcome and this condition of mine has improved quite a bit. Praise the Lord!

I think God is still at work with me. Maybe that is the reason why I have not passed my driving test yet - to stop me from having this urge to buy a car once I have that piece of plastic with me! I know I will go check out different car models on the day I passed and the next thing I know, it would be Andy Chew signing on the dotted line of the purchase order form. :(

Frankly I do not need a car to commute and I have also calculated the cost of maintaining one but my weakness may just overcome these logical thinking and cause me to make illogical decision - relative to my needs, that is. Haha.

Now I cannot wait to go to Sungei Buloh to try out the Tele-Converter on my Sigma lens. Well, I shall see which day I have the time to do so - for now, I do not see any slot as yet to fit in this desire. :)

I shall sleep early tonight - I am actually quite tired. I guess I have not recovered fully from the hectic weekend I had. :)

No comments: