Monday, April 14, 2008

Caught Unaware; The Lion Pounced!

I decided to pack in lunch today so that I can spend the time in office to do a bit of blogging. It has been a great start to this brand new week. Thanks be to God for that.

I have yet to recover from a hectic weekend. Yesterday was a day of feasting for me as I had a wedding lunch reception along Club Street; then it was off to my Godson's parents' place for a time of fellowship; and in the evening we celebrated a dear brother-in-Christ's birthday - a member of the MacRitchie Running Fellowship - at a Peranakan restaurant.

One confession to make though - the experience at the dining place was quite unpleasant. We made a reservation at 7:30pm but food was only served to us an hour later. This was an ala-carte buffet meal and yet the serving was so slow.

Of course our patience were tested and mine came to a point where I had to complain to the senior staff of the restaurant for their bad service. I was peeved - my face was as black as charcoal and as long as the lady's finger (a dish that we ordered). This affected my mood to fellowship with the rest. Though I knew I should practise self-control but in the end I still showed much of my unpleasant colours.

I went home feeling quite lousy as I reflected on the day that had just passed. Throughout the wait and even while the food was served to us, we made a couple of sarcastic remarks to the staff which I thought were uncalled for; we even clapped as each dish is being placed on our tables; then when rice was served to the customers at another table (who came later than us), we got angry about it.

The sad thing was we even said grace - to give thanks to God for our food. Were we really thankful? I wonder.

Anyway, I was rebuked as I sought forgiveness from the Lord. What have I learnt from this incident?

1) Since the group and I had said grace to God for the food, we should have an attitude of thanksgiving rather than anger, impatience, judgmental, etc;

2) Instead of just complaining about the bad service, perhaps I should have asked what went wrong and understand the situation rather than giving the staff this impression that I have the right to prompt service;

3) Instead of making sarcastic remarks and clapping to mock the staff, we should have just thanked them for trying their very best to serve our table as quickly as they could;

4) Lastly, as brothers and sisters-in-Christ, I thought it would be beneficial for us to tell each other not to fall into the devil's trap and instead be a testimony, no matter the inconvenience caused.

Well, food for thought. (No pun intended for that phrase used)

I hope yesterday's incident did not stumble the staff who served us since they saw us saying grace and all.

The next half of this day will be spent on readings.

I shall stop here and enjoy my smoked salmon sandwiches. Yumz!

"Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." 1 Peter 5:8

No comments: