Friday, April 04, 2008

God Always Makes My Day!

I have been out with my students since morning for a photography session to prepare them for a practical examination which is just round the corner. We have had a couple of sessions already and I am happy that they are improving in this skill that they have acquired for the past few months.

Today is also the first time I am trying out a second-hand (actually it is a third-hand and I will explain why) super-zoom lens which I bought yesterday from a kind gentleman. I have been praying for the Lord to provide me this particular lens as I know I would not have bought a new set as it would cost me a bomb. I also prayed for the impossible that the set would be around S$1000.

This brings me to the explanation of why it is a third-hand. When the first owner advertised this lens, his asking price was S$1100. Being a miser, I asked whether he was willing to let it go at S$950. Of course the deal was off and it was sold to another person.

This "another person" was the one who sold the lens to me after only acquiring it for about a week. He is a man in his mid-50s and the reason he decided to let it go was basically due to the weight. The Sigma 50-500mm lens is known as Bigma or Bazooka to those who own it. It is really heavy and he felt that in the long run he will not be able to handle such a big equipment.

When he saw my advertisement, he decided to sell it to me. We made the transaction yesterday and guess how much was the price - exactly S$1K (the amount that I was willing to spend). Thanks be to God for answering my prayers!

It is amazing how this lens can make a tiny object from afar appear so big! I am happy with this purchase and that completes my range of lenses I need to cover from both extreme distances. This lens will aid me in nature photography - one which I have always been interested in.

When I was done with my students, I went to buy a filter for the above lens - again this is God's providence. Yesterday I have been asking around about this filter - some shops told me they have to order because it is a relatively big glass; those that have it quoted rather high prices (all between the range of S$150 to $200). One guy was willing to sell it to me at S$130 (second-hand). Though tempting, I decided not to buy it yet. Well, in the end I went home empty-handed.

Before I slept last night, I prayed again for the Lord to help me find one that is good and cheap. Just now when I went on with my search, guess what? I found one. The brand is reputable (HOYA) and the price was S$85! Praise the Lord once again!

Well, I was happy and contented after making the payment.

On my way out of the shopping centre, I encountered an unpleasant incident though. It was truly uncalled for - it kind of marred my joyful mood but I was reminded myself not to over-react.

Anyway, I was heading for a glass exit to go home. In front of me were three ladies. The first lady opened the glass door for herself and her friends. As that lady was still holding the door, I took the opportunity to make my exit as well. I thanked her as I walked past.

Then I heard her telling her friends, "Thick-skin! As if I was opening the door for him." I turned around and walked towards the lady (I think I startled her when I did that) and apologised for the inconvenience I have cause. I smiled and walked away.

It affected me for a while but I reminded myself not to be bothered by the remark made and also not to hold any grudge against the lady, I prayed for her as I headed for the MRT Station.

From the above encounter I was reminded that we should always be kind and gracious to every one around us even if it means experiencing certain inconveniences on our part and not to say things which may hurt another.

Anyway, it has been an eventful day. All glory to God!

"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him." 1 John 5:14-15

"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe..." Philippians 2:14-15a

No comments: