Wednesday, January 04, 2012

A Complaining Spirit Is Always About Self

This morning I woke up with no plans to do housework but looking at the state of my home, I decided to do so. My initial plan was to just laze around, watch a movie or two from this iPad application a dear friend downloaded for me, before visiting grandma.

Anyway, I started sweeping the floor. It did not help that strong wind was gushing into the house through the windows in the living room. Dust were flying everywhere. I had to close all of them before I could carry on. Then my dog started running around and kicking the pile of dirt I swept to the middle.

After that, I decided to mop the floor. Again my dog was in my way. She was walking around the house leaving paw-prints on the floor as it was damp. Dad came back from breakfast and stepped on the floor... leaving footprints now.

The complaining spirit within me began to manifest itself - grumbling as in why do I always have to be the one doing the housework, etc.?

It did not help that I realised the bedsheets have not been changed for a week and I told mum why is it that they have to wait for me to change them when they could have done it themselves?

Just before I started blogging the above thoughts, I sat down to catch a breather. It was here that I realised I should not have reacted the way I did and not said those words to mum.

From this episode, I was rebuked about how selfish I have been. This complaining attitude I had has nothing to do with others. It was all about me. I complained because I felt it was unfair that I needed to do all the work. I grumbled because I was telling myself I could have done this and that instead of sweeping and mopping the floor, changing the bedsheets and also doing the laundry. I told my mum off because in being so engrossed with myself, I have forgotten the feelings of others.

Well, a few things to note the next time I do housework: one is to do them with a happy attitude. If I think I will not be able to do so for that day, then leave the housework to another day when I am more prepared; two is to do it for others joyfully and with a heart of a servant; three, that all these housework will come to pass if I can just concentrate on the doing than the complaining.

Okay, just some thoughts that I want to share while waiting for the laundry to be done.

The washing machine just beeped. Time to hang the laundry! After that, off to see granny in hospital. :)

"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments: