Monday, January 09, 2012

Ministry Work Is Everywhere And Anywhere!

I know I should be sleeping because tomorrow is my first day at work but I want to share something which I know it is not by chance but through God's divine appointment.

After dinner with two dear siblings-in-Christ in 112 Katong Mall, I wanted to take a cab home but having noted that the peak-hour surcharge now stretches to 12am, I decided to take the bus and then a train home.

Having alighted at my estate's train station, I walked in the tunnel to my apartment block. Towards the end I met this elderly lady (whom I spoke to quite some time ago) who stays just one block next to mine. I asked her why she was not taking the escalator. She told me she lost her Senior Citizen's Concession Pass and she was advised to go to Hougang Interchange tomorrow.

She asked me for directions to the above location. As she does not know which train station to alight, I advised her to take bus service 147 and just alight when it reaches the interchange and that would be where she can apply for a replacement card. I am glad that is a better option for her and she will do just that tomorrow.

I remembered her telling me before that she is attending a church so I asked how the experience has been for her. She said she is enjoying it. I think she could not remember that I told her before that I am a Christian so she asked me whether I am one. Immediately after I told her I am, she asked me to pray for her there and then for her giddiness and also arthritis. I felt awkward initially as we are in a public area but I know I should not reject her request.

I directed her to one corner outside the MRT station so that I could intercede for her. Just when I was about to tell her I could only pray for her in English, she asked whether I could do so in Mandarin. Man, that was when I panicked! Andy Chew praying in Mandarin?!!! Aiyoh!

Anyway, as I really wanted her to be blest and assured that God is going to heal her, I told her I would. We bowed our heads and there was a five-second silence. It was not that I was thinking of what to pray but I was actually crying out to God to help me speak in the language as requested.

The first word was like the first step I would take as I leap off a bridge in a bungee-jump but to my surprise, words after words just poured forth! After I ended with an "Amen!", I quickly asked the elderly lady whether she understood my prayer. She said she did. I wanted to be sure so I asked her what I prayed and she shared with me the contents.

My jaw dropped but I quickly fixed it back. I really praise God that He allowed me to speak a language which I am weak in but at that point it was powerful enough to minister to a person who wants to be healed by God. All glory to Him!

Well, all I hope now is that the lady is well! It is not my prayer that healed her. It is her faith in God which did! :)

The above encounter reminded me that ministry to others is everywhere and anywhere. It is not just confined in a church. :)

No comments: