Sunday, January 08, 2012

The Story About An Old Man

Let me tell you a story...

There is this old man who was happy that his family is celebrating his 80th birthday with a grand dinner! Prior to the big event, he was telling everyone about it. He was so proud of his family members.

Then came the BIG day. At the restaurant, every one shook the hand of the man, wished him a very happy birthday and gave him huge red packets with loads of money in them.

But that was all! Around the dinner table, everyone was talking to each other except to the elderly man. They did not want to listen to his life-story. His children were talking about the latest business ventures or stocks and his grandchildren were either playing amongst themselves or being glued to games on the iPhone, iPad or other gaming devices.

Throughout the feasting, the old man was alone even though there were many around him.

The above is basically an analogy of how we sometimes treat God when we go to church. The church is a place where God's children come together as a body to worship Him. He is supposed to be the main SUBJECT but sad to say, many a times, He is cast aside like the old man in the above story because other subjects became more attractive.

Christians sometimes go to church to meet up with friends to talk about everything and anything except God... about business opportunities, family holidays, gossips, shopping, etc.

If that is the case, then why go to church? Why not a country club? Or restaurants? Or a public area?

I basically have one thing to say... I am guilty! Guilty of treating church like a social club and not treating this place with reverence and with the awareness that God's presence is real in the church I attend.

I am glad I went to church this morning after having cycled about 70km from Potong Pasir to West Coast to Chinatown and back to Potong Pasir again. I was actually quite tempted to just stay home and chill but I felt that I needed to be in church to worship God with my spiritual family.

If I had chosen to skip church, I would not have heard about the above story. If I had not heard about the story, I would have sometimes gone to church for the wrong reasons.

Now, whenever I go to church, be on Sundays or any other days, I will tell myself I am going to a sacred place where it is all about God and no one else. It does not mean though that it gives me the excuse to skip church if I know my motive for that day is wrong. It should be a reflection just before leaving home to right a wrong. :)

How desperate am I for God? I sure hope I am more desperate for Him compared to other persons or areas in my life! He must and will always come first. It is a struggle and even if I have to make right this thought daily, I would gladly just do it! :)

Well, a very good reminder for me today! Praise the Lord!!!

I am nursing a strained lower left back! Whenever I walk too fast, it will hurt. If I sit down and apply too much pressure to my left, the back becomes very sore. I think I hurt it when I hit a pothole while cycling this morning to cheer three cycling kakis in their drive to raise funds for a care centre. Praise God for protecting the three of them and all those who were cycling with them in support of their noble effort!

I am glad a dear friend gave me a bottle of salonpas spray not too long ago for another injury. Now it has come in handy again. She advised that if it is still not well that I should apply Chinese oilment or medicinal plasters. As much as I dislike the smell of these two remedies, I may just consider them if the back still hurts bad. :)

Okie, I think it is time that I sleep.

Oh yah! I am starting work officially on Tuesday!!! *cheers* Back to teaching! My first - my one and only passion! I do not know what to expect but that is where the fun and thrill is! Well, a new journey with a new adventure and get paid to go through it some more! Looking forward to it as I did when I started in 1998! :)

I pray I will be a shining light in the place God has given me. May I be a testimony to all whom I will be in contact with! Tough at times when I am put to a test, I guess it is better to struggle with this than to be numbed to it!

Good night, world! Have a God-blessed week ahead!

Ta ta! :)

No comments: