Monday, September 01, 2008

Relevance Of The Gospel In The Present Times

I have been procrastinating blogging my thoughts. It has been a hectic day in office but thanks be to God for pulling me through the Monday blues and allowing me to now change to a lower gear to unwind. :)

A lot of thoughts ran through my mind today and they kind of made my heart heavy and sad. As the title of my blog states, I question the relevance of the Gospel in the present times which we are all living in.

Why this thought? I was basically looking at the people around me especially individuals whom I know. I was also reflecting on my own life. All these persons, including myself, are Christians but I wonder how often God is ever in our lives - be it in thoughts, words or deeds.

Lately my patience has been rather short and naturally people around me got the brunt of my outbursts. Besides me, I know of someone who is at odds with her family; a few indulging in gambling, heavy drinking and smoking; one in a gay relationship; some overly anxious about their future (as in not securing a job even before graduation) till they are so paranoid and driven that they even skip church; many using expletives each time they open their mouths; one whose mindset is so pessimistic and negative; a few who are always complaining and never contented; many who are glued to playing PSP games and giving excuses they do not have time for daily devotions; etc.

All of the above-mentioned still attend church on Sundays and many know the Word of God (through worship services, cell groups; youth groups; various ministries in the church) but on other days, our identity as Christians is covered with a paper-bag - we are all being in and at the same time, of the world.

Whatever happened to Jesus whom we professed to be our Lord and Saviour? Whatever happened to all that we have been taught? Due to all the distractions and frustrations of the world, is the Gospel of no relevance anymore because other things around us are more enticing?

Yesterday during service, the assistant pastor of the church reminded all in the congregation to reflect on this word, "JOY." Is there joy in our lives? If not, is it because God is no more real? Are we being lured away by other persons and/or things?

He urged all to let the joy of the Lord be our strength - to run back to the loving Father whose arms are always opened to receive us. My pastor sang the words of this song...

Joy is the flag flown high
from the castle of my heart
from the castle of my heart
from the castle of my heart.

Joy is the flag flown high
from the castle of my heart
when the King is in residence there.

So let it fly in the sky,
let the whole world know
let the whole world know
let the whole world know

So let it fly in the sky,
let the whole world know
that the King is in residence there.

The above words speak so true of one whose life has Christ in him or her. J.O.Y. - Jesus Occupies You! If Jesus occupies our lives 24 hours a day, then there will always be joy in us. The challenge is - are we willing to let Him fill us all the time?

My answer is I want to. I know I will fail occasionally but I still want Jesus to be in me always!

I guess the above evaluation is timely. On Friday I will be mentoring a group of youth leaders at the Young Methodist Leaders' Conference. If I am not right with God, who am I to lead others? Well, may the Lord be my joy and my salvation!

Time to stop here.

Good night to all and have a blessed week ahead!

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me." Psalm 51:10-12

No comments: