Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Missions Still Accomplishing

I have been down with food poisoning since Sunday. I do not know what caused it and I shall not point fingers. Yesterday I went to see the doctor. As my fever was high and my diarrhoea was bad, I was given two days of medical leave.

Sunday was really a torture for me - I went to church in the morning but upon arriving, my tummy was churning; bones were aching and I was feeling lethargic. I also needed to purge. In the end, I had no choice but to grab a cab home. It was from then on that I was bedridden. Temperature went up to a high of 38.5 degrees Celsius and I visited the toilet countless times. I also felt dehydrated. Throughout the day I felt weak.

Thanks be to God for His healing power! Though my tummy is still a little unwell, my fever has subsided and I am up and about! :)

The remaining part of this week will be quite busy for me - I have to write the Last Local Conference report for my role as the Missions Committee chairperson in the church. I struggle as I consider what I should include in the report. It is so easy to jot all the accomplishments for the year and make the report looks good but are these the things which matter? There are a lot of burdens but I just do not know where to start. Anyway, the deadline is Friday and I shall pray that the Lord will just guide my heart as I write.

In my four years as the chairperson of this area of ministry, I learnt that the missions ministry is not about accomplishing tasks but winning lives. The question is are we doing more of the latter? Sometimes I feel the church is not. Yes, teams are being sent out each year; funds are being disbursed; and meetings are held to consider what other areas of assistance we may offer but are these enough?

Anyway, I still have a lot to learn in this ministry. For those of you reading this blog and are my fellow siblings-in-Christ, pray for me. :) One comfort I hold in my heart is that I know I have a great God whose mind and wisdom and plans are far better than mine! I am sure He had all these figured out and I look forward to learning more from Him.

The next few days I have a couple of meetings to chair and attend at work. I won't be surprised when I go back to office tomorrow, there will be a backlog of work on my desk. Well, though it sounds daunting, I shall try to deal with them joyfully. Haha.

I just realised after this weekend, the following two weekends I will be away in Malaysia. One in Pulai Springs from 4 to 7 September where I will be attending the Young Methodist Leaders' Conference as a mentor. Then on 13 and 14 September, I will be in Malacca with the running gang for a getaway - pigging out and fellowshipping with one another!

Well, time to end here.

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails." Proverbs 19:21

No comments: