Wednesday, August 06, 2008

We Are Either Light Or Darkness. Please Choose

I was in the East this evening. I had initially planned to go Chinatown to buy some toiletries. In the end, I decided to spend some time with God by the beach. Well, my outfit of a pair of jeans and Polo-Tee were not really that suitable but I decided to put discomfort aside and commune with God by the breakwater.

My heart was troubled. That was why I needed to go somewhere quiet to be with my Heavenly Father. I was basically very fed-up and angry at how weak Christians (myself included) can be at times though we have an Almighty God by our side. Just so ironic that in church we worship and praise a God who is great and yet when we are in the world, we become turtles with our heads always hidden in our shells and allowing others to kick us around.

Where is God exactly in our lives?

Lately I have been struggling with people's impression of me. Deep down in my heart I know I have not done anything wrong in the sight of God and yet because of my fear of what people might say or misunderstand, I become uneasy and troubled.

I have also come across other siblings-in-Christ sharing with me about their fears for the future - listening to what the world says that in order to survive they have to work super hard and to be doubly sure of what their goals are in life. In the process they take things into their own hands - building treasures on earth and not in heaven.

There were other cases where Christians have to lie because of others - could be their bosses, parents, siblings, friends, pastors/mentors/leaders, etc. It is not that these people asked them to lie (though it can happen sometimes by certain of these persons mentioned) but it is more so because of these people that they had to lie! It could be out of fear that the bosses might scold them; it could because parents are over-protective; it could be friends showing concern in the wrong way which in the end leads to cases of gossiping; it could be pastors/mentors/leaders laying out too much rules and instilling fear; etc.

There were yet other incidents where we know of others committing something wrong and yet we do not have the guts to tell them so - cheating when tearing parking coupons, tapping the EZ-Link card earlier than they are supposed to, pocketing the extra change when buying some stuff in a supermarket, etc.

The above-mentioned are just some examples of how coward Christians can be at times. We were supposed to be living in the light, yet so many of us still live in darkness or in the shadows of others. Have we been truly set free? I really do not know.

I sought the Lord's forgiveness for having undermined Him; for not being His ambassador in this world I live in; for not being courageous; and above all, for not regarding Him 100% as my Lord and Saviour.

I know this will be a constant struggle as I continue with my pilgrim's journey. As Christians, we must remember that God has set us free from the slavery of sin and death once and for all. We are no longer slaves to others or to the patterns of this world. God has given us a mind of our own and if we can align that with His Word and the guidance of the Holy Spirit in us, we can do the right thing and always be a light everywhere we go. Darkness can never consume us anymore!

Well, that was what I was reminded of when I stood before God in quiet and reading His Word.

"Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a man is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. Therefore do not be partners with them. For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said: "Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you. Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ." Ephesians 5:1-21

No comments: