Thursday, August 21, 2008

Christ's Name Glorified; His People Edified!

Just finished writing an article and since it is going to be lunch-time, I decided to take a break and blog something that has been bothering me. It burdens me because it has got to do with my fellow siblings-in-Christ. It is my prayer that the Lord will show me more of what I should do and at the end of day, the name of Christ glorified and His people edified.

Last night I met my accountability group consisting of three other younger brothers-in-Christ. We were sharing about our Encounters with God and people; Struggles that we are currently going through; and our Desires.

During our fellowship, we shared about our burdens for a particular sibling-in-Christ especially the individual's behaviour - the cold treatment towards others; the judgmental attitude; the pessimism; the constant ranting of the "I, me and myself". Because of all these, many have shunned this dear individual.

Though the usual way is to avoid the person since many are turned off, we reminded each other that we should not react as the world would. We told each other that we should not shun anyone but instead we should always pray and seek the Lord to bridge the gap. Though it will be a dirty job and probably awkward and tense, we are now praying that the Lord will show us how we can actually approach this dear friend of ours and share about our burdens.

I think it is important to remind ourselves that the love of God in us does not teach us to distant ourselves away when someone has done something wrong to us. Instead it should compel us to do what the world does not want to do - that is to confront, rebuke, and make up (reconciliation, that is).

Well, I am already praying for the individual and I hope situation will get better soon. May the Lord be our help and guide.

Last night, I had to confront a 13-year old boy who was smoking freely with two of his friends who are 18 years old. As I did not want the situation to turn ugly, I asked his two friends to stay away while I had a talk with the youth. I was burdened as to why at such a young age, he was already learning to smoke.

Well, he shared it was due to peer pressure. Though he said he will not smoke again, I hope he will not say it to get out of the situation he was in. I advised him to use the money meant to buy cigarettes for other items which may be more beneficial. He nodded. Before I let him go, I asked him to throw away the stick and whatever were in his possession. I hope the Lord will help this young individual to kick his habit.

I won't be surprised if one day I get beaten up for being a busybody but I shall trust the Lord's protection to be upon me as I confront individuals like the youth above.

Anyway, time to end here. Thanks be to God for encounters, struggles and desires! :)

"Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade men. What we are is plain to God, and I hope it is also plain to your conscience. We are not trying to commend ourselves to you again, but are giving you an opportunity to take pride in us, so that you can answer those who take pride in what is seen rather than in what is in the heart. If we are out of our mind, it is for the sake of God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you. For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again. So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God. God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." 2 Corinthians 5:11-21

No comments: