Thursday, September 11, 2008

Patient, I Say!

On Monday I had to help my brother collect some freebies which came along with his newly-acquired notebook. When I reached the shop, there was a long queue. The whole place was a mess actually - the queue system was in disarray; the floor space was small with every one cramped in it; people were shouting everywhere and the staff were being scolded left, right and center because the items which they were entitled to were not available. It did not help that it was raining heavily and many of the customers coming into the shops were drenched. The staff basically experienced hell that day!

On Tuesday when I got a ride home from a colleague, we were stuck in a jam. It was a crawl for all the cars. From one honk, I heard two and then three and then suddenly there was a symphony of honkings. Though speculative but I won't be surprised there were many cursings at that time.

Then came yesterday. I alighted at Jurong Point from campus and decided to head for the supermarket to do grocery-shopping. After getting all the items I needed, I went to the cashier-counters and man, there were long queues everywhere. This time round, the customers were orderly and patient but in front of me, there were these four housewives talking to each other. They were complaining about the foreign workers in Singapore, namely the construction workers and maids. They were making lots of unfounded comments like there were many maids being made pregnant because of their hanky-panky activities with the construction workers. They even remarked that crimes in Singapore have increased because of them.

What topped it off was my encounter along the travelator at Dhoby Ghuat MRT. In front of me were a group of elderly folks. Behind me were a group of undergraduates who were making comments about the old folks blocking their way and all. One of the chaps even shouted at them to make way.

That was the last straw for me. I turned and glared at the young man who shouted. I basically asked him and his friends to be considerate and perhaps not taking the travelator (which is for the sole purpose of transporting commuters from one end of the station to the other without the need to walk) in future if they are that impatient. They kept quiet after that and allowed the travelator to bring them to the end point.

All of the above-mentioned basically hit one negative point in all humans. We are impatient beings, be it towards circumstances or people. Though I am writing about this, I am no angel myself. My friends have seen the dark side of me when it comes to this.

This is not the end. When one becomes impatient, it leads to anger and then to judging and then occasionally violence. At the end of the day by reacting negatively to a circumstance or a person, no one becomes happier. Every one is affected!

Frankly, we all know the consequence but we still allow ourselves to be impatient.

Well, this is one area of my life which I am relentlessly learning to overcome with the help of the Lord.

Back to the incident on Monday at the shop. Amidst all the scuffles, I saw a scene of peace in one section of the shop. There was this lady who was also unable to collect her freebies too. Angry she was not. Patient she was! I basically saw a smile on her face and I was close enough to hear what she said - she told the staff she understood their explanation and since they were unable to do anything about it at that point of time, she would come again another day. The staff smiled back. Both parties were happy. She left, unperturbed by all the noises around her.

I guess we all need to learn to spare a thought for others and not always look at the 'rights' we are so-called entitled to. When we put selfish motives and gains aside, perhaps this world would be a better place to live in; perhaps we would also live longer.

Well, something which I am learning myself.

"A patient man has great understanding, but a quick-tempered man displays folly. A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones." Proverbs 14:29-30

"A hot-tempered man stirs up dissension, but a patient man calms a quarrel." Proverbs 15:18

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."
1 Corinthians 13:4-8

So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law. The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:16-26

No comments: