Sunday, September 21, 2008

Be Filled With The Correct Spirit!

I am very tired now. It is already past midnight and I have a long day ahead later in church. I needed to share something which I learnt last night. I do not want to procrastinate writing this lesson down for fear that I may forget. Anyway, this is a personal interpretation on my part so no need to subscribe to the way I see this issue I am bringing to light.

I think for those of us who read the Bible, there are many occasions where we come across verses warning about drunkenness. I have heard many (myself included) who have read about these passages, arguing and wondering when is it that one becomes drunk and where to draw the line.

Some would say just drink one glass of alcohol and that is enough; some others would say till they feel the tightness or the hotness felt on the face; there are yet others who would mention that one will not get drunk simply by drinking water to purge the alcohol out of our system; etc.

Well, when I was in a cab, heading for home, I had a revelation about the above-mentioned. This is it - instead of rationalising how much is enough or thinking of ways to stop one from being drunk, why not just not drink at all? If one does that, then there is no issue of having to battle with drunkenness; there is no need to waste time and effort wondering where to draw the line.

I guess that is what the Bible is trying to teach the readers as well! Not to get drunk means do not drink at all!

Anyway, now that I have shared this thought and being an occasional drinker of wine and beer, I want to consider stopping it once and for all! Not just because of the issue about getting drunk but being a good testimony and not being a stumbling block to others.

I am sorry to say this but I think as a Christian, I have to be harder on myself so that those who are younger or weaker in the faith; those who are not a believer; and those who are looking up to me as an older brother will not think that it is alright to get drunk once in a while or start compromising about drinking just because they see me doing it myself. For their sake, I would rather stop drinking altogether so that I do not have to struggle with this matter at all. It is also a lot easier to answer others when I am being queried.

I hope I make sense here.

Well, I am not trying to have this holier-than-thou attitude. What I have shared so far is a revelation to me which opened my eyes completely and clearly.

You know? I am burdened for those who are reaching the age where they are legally permitted to drink - it is my prayer, especially for my younger siblings-in-Christ, that they will not look forward to that day when all hell breaks loose and boozing happens on their birthdays!

Let us be filled with the correct Spirit - the One with the capital 'S'!

Alright, I feel better now having shared this thought. Time to sleep and get myself ready to worship God later with the rest of my family-in-Christ!

Good night to all!

"Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap. For it will come upon all those who live on the face of the whole earth. Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man." Luke 21:34-36

"The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy. Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature." Romans 13:12-14

"Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin. As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you. But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to men in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit. The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen." 1 Peter 4:1-11

No comments: