Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Choices

I went for a walk with my doggy this morning at the park. The weather was cool and very nice for a stroll. It felt as if I was in a temperate country. One of the rare mornings with such low temperature. Thanks be to God for that!

As usual I would let Sasha run around while I sat next to a tree and read God's Word. I read Genesis 3 and throughout the time when I was pondering on this chapter, the word, "Choices," kept running in my mind.

It then occured to me that life is about making choices. Though God mentioned to Adam and Eve not to eat the fruit of a particular tree, He did not stand guard by it to make sure they adhered to His instruction. Adam and Eve were given the freedom to choose. They were instructed and they knew what they needed to do but in the end it was their choice to decide - whether to obey or rebel?

As I evaluated on my life, it dawned upon me that I have been making many choices throughout my 36 years on this earth. Some choices were wrong (like purposely doing badly in my studies when I was in primary school just so that I could spite my mum for always pressurising me to excel); some were silly (always getting myself into trouble by joining a gang); others were right (in making a decision to accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour).

One thing I learnt this morning was this - though in the course of my life I have made wrong choices, it does not mean that it is the end of the road for me. Yes, it can be painful at times having to bear the consequences of my choices but at the end of the day, another choice needs to be made - the choice to continue feeling lousy or the choice to consider how I can bring myself out of this and turn things around.

Wrong choices can be made right. Remember this. So long as you have the ability to choose, there is always a way out!

I was also reminded that most of the time when a choice needs to be made, we would roughly know which one to choose. The struggle for us is that sometimes we choose the opposite - instead of loving, we choose to hate; instead of forgiving, we choose to bear grudges; instead of living a holy and godly lifestyle, we choose to sin by our unwillingness to let go of our pet sins; instead of making a difference in someone else's life, we choose to be self-centered; instead of spending time with God, we choose to play computer games, watching TV, etc; instead of trusting others, we choose to doubt them; instead of being happy, we choose to be sad. These are just some examples.

Let us make the right choice the next time when we have to make one. Why put ourselves through misery and regret by going against?

Let me end with this - include God in your choices! You will not go wrong. Well, now it is your choice whether to believe this statement or not. :)

"Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God really say, 'You must not eat from any tree in the garden'?" The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.'" "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves. Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?" He answered, "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid." And he said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?" The man said, "The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it." Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?" The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate." Genesis 3:1-13

No comments: