Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Today is dad's 77th birthday. We had a simple celebration over dinner at a Japanese restaurant, named "Shin Yuu" located in Greenwood Avenue. Mum had a craving for Japanese food and since dad did not mind, all six of us (dad, mum, grandma, brother, sister-in-law and I) had a great time of feasting together.

I had my birthday celebration in the same restaurant and it was with a dear brother-in-Christ back in June. It would have been my third time there but the second one did not happen.

Anyway, in the late morning and whole afternoon, my parents and my uncle with another friend were in Johor for shopping and eating. I am glad they all had fun and I praise God for sustaining mum, who is physically weak, throughout.

Well, this morning after I prayed for dad, I wrote a short poem which I read to him over the dinner table. It read, "A God-blessed birthday to you, dad. The sacrifices you've made for me, I will always remember that. You watch me grow from a babe to an adult, your love for me is without a doubt. Our relationship as father and son have never been prefect but this is a reminder that our lives are works in progress. I'll praise God always for Georgie Chew, for giving me a unique father like you."

Dad and I have our differences but over these past few months, things have improved and I want to thank God for that. I feel that it is pointless to bicker over matters which are sometimes trivial but blown out of proportion. Instead I want to channel those energy to building relationships not just with dad but with everyone at home. There is still room for improvement and with God's help, I know our bond will be much closer in the near future.

We are supposed to celebrate dad's birthday yesterday as I have cell group meeting tonight but I decided that we should celebrate on the actual day itself. Cell group meetings fall every fortnightly but one's birthday comes only once a year. I guess missing one meeting is alright for the sake of family bonding.

I guess that is all.

Happy Birthday once again, dad!

No comments: