Sunday, November 19, 2006

Thank You

THANK YOU

I dreamed I went to heaven
And you were there with me
We walked upon the streets of gold
Beside the crystal sea
We heard the angels singing
Then someone called your name
You turned and saw this young man
And he was smiling as he came

And he said friend you may not know me now
And then he said but wait
You use to teach my Sunday School
When I was only eight
And every week you would say a prayer
Before the class would start
And one day when you said that prayer
I asked Jesus in my heart

Then another man stood before you
And said remember the time
A missionary came to your church
And his pictures made you cry
You didn't have much money
But you gave it anyway
Jesus took the gift you gave
And that's why I am here today

One by one they came
Far as the eye could see
Each life somehow touched
By your generosity
Little things that you had done
Sacrifices made
Unnoticed on the earth
In heaven now proclaimed

And I know in heaven
You're not suppose to cry
But I am almost sure
There were tears in your eyes
As Jesus took your hand
And you stood before the Lord
He said my child look around you
Great is your reward

Thank You for giving to the Lord
I am a life that was changed
Thank You for giving to the Lord
I am so glad you gave

The Mission Team met today for the last time and did our final planning before we leave for Cambodia this Thursday.

I was especially moved by the testimonies that every member shared regarding how God touched their lives.

I shared mine to the team. Even though I came to know Jesus Christ 21 years ago when I was just a 13 year old boy and many things have happened since then, I never fail to choke with tears of how different people, who came in and out of my life, have touched me so deeply - for how God had used them to make me who I am today.

If not for them, I really do not know what I would have become and where I would be now. This reminiscence reminded me of a song that spoke to me loads when I was listening to it many years ago when I was a teenager. I managed to find the lyrics which can be found at the top of today's blog. I also managed to find the music file - for those of you who are reading my pilgrim's progress, feel free to let God touch you as you listen to the song. :)

The website is http://www.freedwings.com/thank.html.

I now dedicate this song to the following people whom God had used to bring me to God and help me grow when I was a young Christian:-

1) The late Uncle Chia Kim Teng who brought me to church when he found me feeling bored at home. Though initially I went to church for the wrong reason of looking at girls, God still used that to change my motive and attitude to one of worshipping Him as my Lord and Saviour with the rest of the Christians.

2) The late Aunty Patricia Chia (wife of Uncle Chia) who always made sure I attended church, occasionally persuading my parents to let me go for Sunday School because I was grounded for getting myself into trouble in school.

3) Bobby Phua, the counselor at the Luis Palau Rally in National Stadium on 4 June 1985, for bringing me to the saving knowledge of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

4) Joyce Chew, Mary Chua (I hope I got her surname right) and Goh Swee Eem for teaching me in Sunday School and allowing me to develop my leadership quality by organising camps and outings.

5) Benjamin Goh for being my discipler when I was in Secondary School - nurturing me weekly to grow deeper in my relationship with God.

6) Rev. Melvin Huang for believing in me though I was a failure in school - being in the Normal Stream and then having to repeat my 'O' Level exams after the first attempt failed. Wow! 6 years of secondary school education. Most of my peers did it in 4 years. For being firm with me that I have to glorify God and honour my parents with my studies. If not for his counsel, I would not have entered university even though I had to do my 'A' Level as a private candidate. I found you a nag but now as I look back, if not for those naggings, I would not have passed through 'O' Level.

7) Kevin Lowe, Christopher Ow, Amos Ang, Sunny Loh, Albert Loh and many more from the Methodist Youth Fellowship for giving me opportunities to serve the Lord in this ministry and affirming me of my spiritual gifts. For believing in me to the point where all of you gave me a huge task in leading a Special Night where there were so many people. I literally trembled on stage that day. I even stammered. :)

8) Ng Tze-Yang, my best friend, for being a friend to me when I first attended Sunday School. For guiding me in my walk with God. For the many movies we watched; food we ate; shopping we had; the crazy things we did like taking bus service 217 round Serangoon Gardens.

9) My Sunday School friends since Secondary One: Mabel Goh, Marjorie Lee and Khor Liyan. We planned and led in many camps for Sunday School. Every time I recall those camps, it just brought smile to my face because we saw how God could use us though we were so young then. We had great fun then! Hallelujah!

10) Chong Kim Soon, Peter Loo, Mark Tay, Tan Sue-Ann, Stephanie Fong and Kenneth Chee from the Kawan Kawan Istimewa a.k.a KKIs ("Good Friends' in Malay) small group for supporting me when I was going through the most painful experience of my life. I had a kidney injury which required me to undergo dialysis for a couple of years.

11) Ashley Choo, Noel Goh and Emilyn Tan for affirming me in my musical talents - teaching me to play the drums and guitar and guiding me when I was learning to be a worship leader. For also teaching me ownership and stewardship of God's musical instruments by polishing the drum-sets first before even learning to strike my first beat on the snare-drum.

12) The late Aunty Violet Kwan for giving me vocal trainings. I did not know you well when you offered to teach me and that meant a lot to me.

There are just so many other people whom I want to say "Thank You" to but it will take many more lines to do so. Please do not take offence by omitting your name out. :( You are very much cherished in my heart though you are not mentioned. Once again,

"Thank You for giving to the Lord
I am a life that was changed
Thank You for giving to the Lord
I am so glad you gave"
- Bobby Michaels -

I prayed quietly just now after the team had finished sharing their testimonies that I will do to others what the above people have done in my life - by simply being a blessing. :) I hope I am and will always be.

Sometimes I may fail - please forgive me when that happens and allow me to try again.

Thanks be to God for my friends!

"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:13-16

No comments: