Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Compassion

On my way home last night, I witnessed a commotion between three persons: a TIBS bus driver; a mildly retarded man (in the bus); and a woman in her 50s (at the bus-stop). I was also at the bus-stop.

The bus driver refused to leave the bus-bay because he realised that the mentally-challenged man has not paid the fare. From what I heard, it had happened a couple of times already on other days. The driver threatened to call the police but the man refused to budge but I could tell that he was scared as he kept closing his eyes.

After his threats did not work, the driver got out of his seat and went to the man and nudged him to get off the bus. The man started screaming and he was sobbing a little too.

A couple of passengers in the bus and those at the bus-stop wanted to pay for the man but the driver raised his voice and prevented them from doing so, stating the reason that this should not become a habit for the man.

In the end, the lady at the bus-stop got so fed-up, she used the coins she had in her hand and paid the fare for the man. The driver gave in and drove off.

What a scene. Now, many may say that the driver was heartless but let us not forget that he had to do his job to ensure that all his passengers pay their fare. Anyway, we shall leave it as that.

My focus was more on the man and the lady.

How often the society belittles people like the mildly retarded man that God has created - calling them hopeless, good-for-nothing, useless, etc? I believe when he did not pay his bus-fare, the man did not do it on purpose but yet, there are people who think so. How many times do we turn a blind eye to poor souls like him? Well, I am guilty of this on several occasions. Sometimes when I wanted to help, doubts began to pour into my mind as to whether these people are really in need or they are just putting up a show to win sympathies from others.

I know the above-mentioned is debatable because there are cases of syndicates using these people to make money but I learnt one precious lesson tonight from the lady at the bus-stop. She used the money she had and paid for the man. Now, you may say, "What's the big deal?"

I felt it was a big deal because after the driver drove off, she came to me and asked whether I could give her $1.20 as she had used up whatever she had left to pay for the man's bus fare. She also said that it was okay if I do not wish to give.

Well, I think that is what compassion should be - to give without questioning and doing so even when one does not have enough for himself or herself - putting others before self.

The whole drama ended when the lady boarded the bus she was waiting for; smiled at me before she got on. I guess she felt good that she has helped someone in need and I believe that is what is the joy of giving is about.

"The poor are shunned even by their neighbors, but the rich have many friends. He who despises his neighbor sins, but blessed is he who is kind to the needy. He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God." Proverbs 14:20-21 & 31

No comments: