Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Self-Dependency vs God-Dependency

I am going on a mission trip to Cambodia next week from 23rd to 28th November 2006. Wow, that's about slightly more than a week from now.

Just as much as I am looking forward to the trip, I am also anxious that things will not work out accordingly. In situations like these, I always struggle because the human side of me wants to take over and try as much as I can to make sure things fall in place - SELF-DEPENDENCY. But on the realistic side, I know I cannot control all things and this is where I have to trust God. So, is this GOD-DEPENDENCY?

I asked this question because dependency on God should not only be during times when I cannot handle the situations then I go to Him for help; it should always be even if I know I can handle matters in my own hands.

To me, it makes a lot of difference because it speaks of the pre-eminence of God in my life. God should always come first in all I do and He should take 100% control of my life and the situations I am going through. This then is GOD-DEPENDENCY.

I praise the Lord for this rebuke because many times, God is needed in my life only when necessary. I guess I have to change this mindset.

Well, the mission trip is now in God's hand. The team has prepared all they could and I guess now we will have to let God use us and help us react to situations accordingly. If things do not turn out the way we hope they would, praise be to God! He knows best.

All said and done, I now find peace in my heart. I guess I can leave for Cambodia next week with excitement and great anticipation of the many experiences (good or bad) the team will be encountering.

To God be the glory!

"To man belong the plans of the heart, but from the LORD comes the reply of the tongue. Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." Proverbs 16:1, 3 & 9