Monday, November 13, 2006

Passion For Soccer

This morning I was watching the soccer match between Arsenal and Liverpool. I could have slept to rest my body before I started work but I made up my mind to stay up so that I will not miss a match by my favourite team, The Reds - Liverpool, that is.

Well, as all supporters of a football club, I was hoping for the team to win but in the end, they lost 3-0 to the Gunners, as Arsenal is known to be.

Of course, I was frustrated and disappointed. Just before I settled down to do my work, I spent some time in prayer. When in quiet, this question came to mind and it was thought-provoking, "Do you have the same passion for God as much as you have the passion for soccer to the point where even you are tired, you will still spend time with Him?"

Sad to say, the answer was no. If given a choice where my body is tired and I needed to read God's Word and pray, I would choose sleep than to spend some time with God.

I guess in my life's journey as a pilgrim, I need to learn what should come first in my priority list and make sure that I do not waver in living it out. I pray that number on the list is God and not soccer.

It is amazing that a soccer match can precede the desire to spend my time with God.

Well, it was a good kick on my butt to rethink about my priorities in life.

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33

No comments: