Monday, November 20, 2006

Pride & Prejudice

This morning when I woke up, I felt a little unwell. I was sniffing and my throat was uncomfortable. Lethargy was the feel of the day.

I basically pumped myself with lots of Vitamin C tablets and also took some flu tablets. I slept a lot and now as I type this blog, I am thankful to God that I am much better. Hallelujah!

Being home almost the whole day, I was able to read a book and also watch a little bit of TV. I just caught the programme, "America's Next Top Model."

I regretted watching it because I became very judgmental especially against one of the top three contestants, Jade.

Though she said the way she carried herself was one of confidence, I felt it was more of pride and arrogance. Unkind thoughts were running in my mind and sadly, some of them came out through my mouth as criticisms and I did it in front of my brother, who is a pre-believer. :(

This is definitely one of my main struggles and weaknesses and I pray that God will help me change this. Who am I to tell someone of his or her pride and arrogance when the very thought I have against that person makes me PROUD and ARROGANT? Who am I to criticise another of God's creation when I myself am also one of His created works. If God is pleased with His creation, who am I to be feel otherwise?

As I go through the pilgrim's journey, I am going to meet a lot of people of different characteristics, am I going to continue with the attitude of pride and prejudice or am I going to see these unique individuals with the eyes of God? A rhetorical question but putting into daily practice is tough.

May the Lord be my help as I struggle through this. I hope at the end of it all, I will honour and please Him and that I will not be a stumbling block to anyone.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." Matthew 7:1-5

No comments: