Thursday, November 27, 2008

Trials = Praise!

I feel as if I am going to fall sick. I have been sniffing since coming home. I am praying that the Lord will sustain my health as I will be leading worship at the 11.15am service on Sunday. I just took some Vitamin C tablets, hoping to strengthen my immune system.

Anyway, this week has not been a great one for me. Almost everything I did did not turn out well - last week I won a third-generation iPod Nano from some StarHub contest. Yesterday I marked all the songs which I wanted to download onto the gadget. It took me quite a while to filter the two thousand songs in my collection. When I was all set to do the transfer, all the songs I had chosen got unmarked suddenly. That really frustrated me!

This afternoon I went to buy an external hard-disk and a RAM for my sister's notebook. The installation of the RAM was ok but when it came to the hard-disk, a simple process of just plug-and-play became two hours of trying to find where the drive had gone to though it has been detected by the computer and the driver installed. In the end I gave up. I called a brother-in-Christ and after some guidance, the gadget is now working.

On Tuesday, it felt as if the Singapore Bus Service was going against me. After getting some work done with my sister, I accompanied her to the bus-stop so that she could catch a bus home. The first bus came and it was packed. We waited for another 20 minutes and the next bus came. Same thing - it was packed.

I decided that we go to a different stop to catch another bus service. After walking a distant, we arrived at the stop. It was waiting time again - took another 20 minutes for the bus to arrive. My sister boarded while I walked to another location to catch my bus.

I waited and waited and waited and for almost 30 minutes, the bus did not arrive. I checked the information board. It was here I realised that particular bus service stops operation after a certain time of the evening. That almost caused the volcano in me to erupt.

I had no choice but to walk to the next road to catch yet another bus service. Guess what? While walking to the stop, the bus I had in mind zoomed past me. I had to confess I swore out of sheer frustration - not as in vulgarities but still not pleasant words I used.

That evening, it took me two hours to go home from Millennia Walk. :(

On Monday, I took a break from work and went to Malacca with two brothers-in-Christ from the MacRitchie Running Fellowship. We set off as early as 6.30am and we only came back to Singapore past midnight. It was a fun and productive trip as we ate and shopped.

On our way home which was already 9.30pm, I told myself to stay awake throughout the trip so that I could be the extra pair of eyes on the road as it was pitch-dark almost throughout the ride. During dinner time we prayed for journey mercy.

The journey home was ok except towards the end when we were nearing the exit to the Singapore Immigration Point. A Malaysian car overtook us and the brother who was driving just turned his head for a moment to look at that car. The other brother was sleeping in the front seat.

At that short span of time, out of nowhere a lorry came on sight, in front of the car. I shouted for the brother who was behind the wheels to brake. He did and for a distant, the car swerved quite a bit.

Thank God when that happened, there were no cars behind and beside us. I also praise God for the good driving skills of that dear brother of mine who reacted well.

Truly God is good. If not, I would not be able to blog now.

It is tough to focus on what I need to do for this Sunday's service when so many incidents had happened. Anyway, when I was in the train just now, God reminded me that yes, though this week thus far has not been pleasant, it does not mean that it would be so for the next few days. It is a matter of seeing all these as testimonies of how God has pulled me through them. Now I should turn my anger and frustration into praise because I am still here and all the problems I faced earlier have been resolved.

Well, time for me to sleep as I was up watching the Liverpool-Marseille Champions League match from 3.45 to 6.00am. The Reds managed to go into the last 16. Yay!

Good night, everyone!

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." James 1:2

No comments: