Thursday, November 13, 2008

Once Bitten, Twice Shy

The National Environmental Agency (NEA) just sent me a notice to attend court on 23 December 2008 at 6.00pm to answer a charge of mosquito-breeding or have the offence compounded by paying a fine of S$200 before the date of hearing.

Early last month, a staff from NEA found some lavae on one of the plates holding grandma's flower-pots. As I was the only one at home then, I gave the gentleman my particulars. I did not know that the case is so serious that I have to be summoned to court.

After talking to my lawyer-friend about the options available, I decided to write a letter of appeal to NEA for them to reconsider the charge made. During the period when the offence was committed, grandma was recovering from a bout of asthmatic attack. As she was weak, she was unable to take care of the plants which she has all these while been faithful in doing so.

I hope with this reason, NEA will be lenient enough to let the family off with a warning since this is our first offence committed.

I have to admit that it is a scary thought to be served with a court order. I can picture myself standing before the judge (perspiring profusely) having to defend myself against the charge. An even scarier picture is that of Andy Chew fumbling while being queried and in the end given a more serious charge and sentence.

Well, this incident has taught the family a lesson that it should be a shared responsibility of every one at home to ensure that there are no mosquito-breeding grounds in the vicinity. I guess this is a "once bitten, twice shy" lesson for us. No pun intended.

Oh yah, it just dawned upon me about the earlier picture I gave of me standing before the judge, that one day I would have to stand before another JUDGE and account to Him everything that I have done here on earth. It is my prayer that I live my life in accordance to what God requires so that when I stand before His judgment seat, I would be able to account everything to Him confidently.

Thanks be to God for this reminder.

Okie, time for me to get back to my work.

Praise the Lord for this encounter. May He be merciful and gracious to me.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

"Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done." Revelation 20:11-13

No comments: