Friday, November 21, 2008

Fire At The Void-Deck

It is 1:17am and I am still wide awake. I am basically recovering from a pretty serious incident which happened about an hour ago at the void-deck of my block. A fire had broken out where some sofas were - those pieces of furniture were placed there for some elderly folks who usually congregate in the day to play Chinese chess.

Before the fire, my brother and I heard some Malay youths playing with sparklers which were making a lot of swooshing noises. We did not really pay much attention to them, thinking that they were just having some fun.

It went on for a while and I got a little more curious as to why these chaps were still up so late in the night. I went to the kitchen and that was when I saw the fire. My brother called the fire service hotline while I ran down to investigate the scene. Two sofa sets were blazing with some home-made chess boxes catching fire as well. The walls and ceiling are covered with soots.

My next concern was my neighbours who live on the second floor especially the apartment which is directly above the fire. I knocked on the door and woke the residents up. One of them ran down with a pail and tried to put out the fire. It took three pails to extinguish the flames.

Not long after, the firemen and police came. While waiting for them, I checked the vicinity and saw several burnt sparkler-rods. I showed them to the investigating officers. After taking down my particulars, I went up to my apartment.

I have some suspects in mind but I am not sure whether they are the ones. I walked around the block and went up to the second level to check whether there were any youths hiding but did not find any. I am sure they are still in the estate - hopefully the police will increase their patrol and bring these arsonists to justice.

My nose and throat are feeling uncomfortable due to the inhalation of smoke but after a quick bath and several gulps of water, they are better now.

The police is still investigating as I type.

Another interesting incident after the last one which I shared about involving some Malay youths breaking fluorescent tubes.

Okie, I think I should try to sleep now.

Thank God there was no injury.

No comments: