Friday, November 21, 2008

Stop Being Indifferent; Start Caring

I was just reading the newspapers and found out that an article I wrote to the Forum page regarding the recent mauling of a staff at the Singapore Zoo has been printed. I was pleasantly surprised as it was a spur of the moment decision to bring to everyone's attention that it was not a security lapse which led to the death of the late Mr. Nordin but more so his intention to intrude which led to the tigers' attack.

Every one has been talking about the security aspect when what was missed out is the fact that Mr. Nordin was not referred to the management for counselling when he was behaving erratically on the day of the incident. If his mental state of mind had been dealt with, probably he will still be alive today.

I do not wish to generalise this statement which I am going to make but it is likely that many times we, as humans, choose to mind our business and not care about others who are in desperate need that suicide cases happen.

Sometimes we tell ourselves, "Nah! I don't think it is that bad though so and so is behaving this way." Well, this assumption at the end of the day will cause the loss of someone's life. It is hard to swallow but those of us who are guilty of being indifferent is partly responsible should there be a case of death.

Anyway, I hope I am not a pot calling a kettle black. I have to practise this in my life as well - basically to let my friends know that I am their friend. In turn, it is also my hope that when I am in need, my friends will help me too.

Today has been a day of mishaps for me - I fell down while climbing a flight of steps. One of my left fingers is slightly injured, around the nail area. Next, while I was taking a short cut across a field, I did not know I stepped on some poo. It was only brought to my attention when I was at a cafe - the stench was unbearable when I sat down with my God-sister. We checked the floor around us but could not see any poo. After a while, it occurred to me that I had some on the sole of my sandals. It took me a while to remove the yucky substance off. Haha.

Well, that sums up my day. Thanks be to God, no matter what. :)

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." Ecclesiastes 4:12

No comments: