Monday, November 03, 2008

Being A Weirdo For Christ!

Ever had this experience where you shared with your friends what you did for someone which may be out of the ordinary and in return you get this "are-you-sure?" reaction? It is a lousy feeling, I have to say, especially when you are with a supposed like-minded company.

Since last year, I resolved to live my life in a manner where I would want to involve myself in being a light to the people around me. That sometimes means being a weirdo in the sight of strangers especially when you start talking to them about the harmful effects of smoking; about the consequence in selling pirated DVDs; about informing and warning shops not to sell cigarettes to individuals below the age of 18; about encouraging youths not to drink alcohol at void-decks; etc.

In my growing up years I have been taught by my parents to always mind my own business and not get myself into unnecessary problems especially involving myself in other people's lives.

Well, then I was not a Christian but now being one who has known Jesus for more than 20 years, I feel that it is my responsibility to make a difference in this world. As an individual I may not be able to change the whole world but if I can bit by bit, person-by-person, minister as much as I can, then I should.

The results in attempting to transform lives are never encouraging. Out of ten persons you reach out to, probably only two will heed your advice and change. To me, it is better than not doing anything at all and obtain zero returns.

If even one life can be nurtured, thanks be to God for that!

Anyway, I am going to continue to live as a 'weirdo.' Not easy especially when I want to be accepted by the people around me. I guess I shall not be too bothered by this and let God use me accordingly.

It has been a tiring day for me, having made a foolish decision to stay up at 1:30 this morning to watch the Liverpool-Tottenham match. I only slept at 3:30am and had to wake up by 7am so that I could be in church by 8am.

No matter how exhausted I was, I am thankful for having gone through this day of adventure in church.

Okie, I have to go now as my eyes are shutting real soon.

Good night and have a blessed week ahead!

"As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him — you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For in Scripture it says: "See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame." Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe, "The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone," and, "A stone that causes men to stumble and a rock that makes them fall." They stumble because they disobey the message—which is also what they were destined for. But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us." 1 Peter 2:4-12

No comments: