Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hey! Are You A Christian?

I have not been blogging for the past one week simply because I was struggling with something which I want to write but do not know how to. The main thing is I do not want to sound as if I am judging but at the same time, it is something which I have been observing for a while. This thought has also made me very frustrated.

Anyway, I have decided to jot these burdens down and hope those who are in agreement with me will pray with me. Whatever I will be sharing is not meant to point fingers at any one but to start us thinking what we should be doing from henceforth.

Ever heard of Christians sharing some of these issues: that there is no meaning in what they do; that one cannot differentiate between a Christian and non-Christian; that when they see something wrong with either a friend or a family member, they do not want to do anything about it lest they are branded a busybody or that these troubled individuals will leech on them; that they do not feel like praying for someone or something?

Coincidentally my accountability group and I were sharing about the above-mentioned and to me that was the last straw. I realised it is time for us to wake up and start getting used to our identity in Christ!

The above issues I mentioned above simply voice down to one thing - we are not living as salt of the earth and light of the world which God has called us to do so.

If we are, then there will be meaning in what we do especially when we are talking about the routines of life - we can break the norms and be different. We can be a counter-culture and not be mundane beings. Yes, the work we do may be the same after a while but what about the people around us - are we getting ourselves involved in their lives? Are we being a testimony to them? If someone is in need or doing something wrong, are we doing something about them? Yes, these are dirty jobs but that was precisely what Jesus did. He cared for those who needed care; He reached out to those who were lost. If we Christians are not doing anything about these, then who will?

Nowadays it is tough to differentiate a Christian from a non-Christian because the former is not behaving like one. We are to be in the world but not of the world. Because of our fears to let others know of our identity as Christians, we do things as the world would; we pursue the temporal and forgo the eternal; we go for the popular and conclude Christianity as something boring; we conform to the patterns of this world instead of being transformed by the renewing of our minds; we dare not change the world for fear that others might think we are mad.

Even in the church, Christians are not supporting Christians. We sometimes bring the world's teachings into the church instead of the opposite - Christians bicker; Christians judge one another; Christians holding grudges against another; Christians do not care for each other; Christians giving up!

How can the church grow if all these are happening? How can we be better beings when we are destroying one another? Instead of rebuking and correcting one another in love, we destroy with much hatred and bitterness. We are not even practising the basic disciplines like that of prayer. Instead we make remarks like I do not like to pray; it is no use praying; etc.

I was challenging myself this morning as I was praying and reading God's Word to start living! Only when I do that will I see the power of God moving in and through me. Only when I know the will of God will I then be able to find meaning in what I do. Only when I die to self, will my eyes then be opened to what eternity holds. Only when I see myself as a pilgrim, will I see this world as just a transit? If I get too comfortable in this earthly home which is only temporary, then my life simply ends here.

How to challenge Christians to start living? I guess it starts with me first, coupled with prayer and see how God moves me from here.

Many times the church is not growing is due to the fact that the people in there are not.

That said, I shared with my accountability group members that I am burning out. Thank God I have not burnt out yet! At least I am aware of this. The next thing which I need to do is to reorganise my life and see which areas need weeding. I also pray that the Lord will guide me through this period of reflection and action. I cannot wait to find more joy in what I do and soar higher like that of an eagle.

Well, I shall end here.

"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:13-16

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:29-31

No comments: